CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Shooting rests?

Moderator: Senior Moderators

CoHiCntry

Shooting rests?

Postby CoHiCntry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm thinking about switching the rest I use off my shooting bench. I've got a standard rifle rest sort of like a Caldwell lead sled but an off brand I got from Cabelas years ago. Seems like I'm seeing a lot of guys using a simple front rest and a rear bag sometimes. Wondering why this is? What are the advantages of using this type of setup? With my current setup it doesn't feel (at least to me) like your really shooting the gun. It's laying in this cradle and I'm just pulling the trigger. It's hard to shoulder the gun real well. Also the adjustment up and down can be a pain. I was looking at the Caldwell Rock front shooting rest and rear bag combo. Is this a decent one? Thanks...

cayuga
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shooting rests?

Postby cayuga » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

This is the one I went with this winter. I really like it. Before, I always had home made stands. This one is more portable. And it too is the front support and I have a bag for the back end.
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

edmehlig
Contributor
Contributor

Postby edmehlig » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 pm

My son got me for Christmas two years ago the Caldwell Matrix. It's simple and light and fits my needs at the range.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/22839 ... oting-rest
1 - White M98/.451
3 - White M97/.451
1 - Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker / 50Cal

cayuga
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cayuga » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 pm

edmehlig wrote:My son got me for Christmas two years ago the Caldwell Matrix. It's simple and light and fits my needs at the range.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/22839 ... oting-rest

I have one of them too. And it works great. Except when I have the 25 round magazine in the Sig Sauer 533 field rifle. Too much magazine.. :mrgreen:
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

CoHiCntry

Postby CoHiCntry » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. cayuga... I have a bench almost exactly like yours. It has the front support like yours too but I've never used it. I use my cradle style rest on the bench. Think I'll pick up the Caldwell Rock front shooting rest with the rear bag and see if I like it better than my current setup.

BuckDoeHunter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby BuckDoeHunter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 am

I made some rice filled bags, they work well. I also use a block of wood that I can flip when I need less/more height. I've never used a rest that cradles the rifle, I like to be able to hold my rifle. Hopefully, I'm simulating how I hunt with free recoil.

CoHiCntry

Postby CoHiCntry » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:42 am

BuckDoeHunter wrote:I've never used a rest that cradles the rifle, I like to be able to hold my rifle. Hopefully, I'm simulating how I hunt with free recoil.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Trying to hold the rifle more instead of it being cradled. Nice rest you made there!

Idaholewis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Idaholewis » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:09 am

Here is the bench i built with the Rugged buddy sawhorse legs, This is a good rest but i have since changed to a style that allows the rifle to naturally Recoil, This is not a leadsled, this particular rest has felt feet and can slide, but i stil prefer my orange Champion yoke cradle. A weighted leadsled is a REALLY good way to break a stock, and if you happen to be a lucky one that doesn't break a stock by using a weighted leadsled you REALLY should check your rifles Zero at 100 yards WITHOUT the sled, let the rifle Recoil naturally against your shoulder, you just might be surprised at the difference, i sure was!! I had a leadsled but got rid of it.

Here is the bench i built from the Rugged buddy sawhorse legs
IMG_473.jpg

And here is the rest i prefer for portability

IMG_472.jpg
“Only accurate rifles are interesting” Col. Townsend Whelen

Return to “Shooting Techniques and Tips”