POSTAL MATCH FUN

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the safe shooting yardage for 100 & 200 yds. I don't know if i can see that far to shoot other than one of my scoped ML's. Sure can't see it n shoot it with my Flintlocks
I dought I could see it either so I'm gonna use my scopes.
My precision hangs on the wall now in a place of honor to pay homige to days and eyes gone by.

So, Hunting Class, any type of sights (iron and scope)? Also, Hunting Class, ok to shoot off a bench with two sand bags? I like this as it might get me to the range more often.

I like the idea but don't some states have regs where only open sights are used or guys that only shoot sidelocks without scopes? Maybe a class for those guys too - open sights at 50 yards??

I like the idea but don't some states have regs where only open sights are used or guys that only shoot sidelocks without scopes? Maybe a class for those guys too - open sights at 50 yards??
We don't want it so that keeping track becomes a chore. There's all different things that could be done, but it generates more work.

I understand your desire to keep things simple. HOWEVER ...
I make an appeal to you to separate out stock/original Omega barreled rifles from all of you with custom/smokeless/saboted/fancy scopes/etc high dollar rifles that so many of you claim to be able to consistently shoot sub MOA groups with. We saps who only hunt in Colorado (and a few other states) who have certain restrictions have no reason to get into that level of shooting.
Over the years, I have shot a handful of three shot sub MOA groups, and last year even cut a 1/2" group. But there's no way I can compete with those of you in the upper class.
Reconsider please.

I understand your desire to keep things simple. HOWEVER ...
I make an appeal to you to separate out stock/original Omega barreled rifles from all of you with custom/smokeless/saboted/fancy scopes/etc high dollar rifles that so many of you claim to be able to consistently shoot sub MOA groups with. We saps who only hunt in Colorado (and a few other states) who have certain restrictions have no reason to get into that level of shooting.
Over the years, I have shot a handful of three shot sub MOA groups, and last year even cut a 1/2" group. But there's no way I can compete with those of you in the upper class.
Reconsider please.
The intention that GaSmokey had was to separate the break open rifles, which also includes the plunger type rifles. The only exception with the break open rifles is that they will be shooting MODERN if shooting SML.

If it were to be broken down further and for the Omega rifles, then the next person who has a Knight Mountaineer in 50cal will want his rifle included, so on and so forth. Then the next person would want it broken down to round ball vs modern. Next guy wants to separate BP from substitutes. Then............ the guy keeping and posting the scores has to keep up with all of that.

There are no scoring rings on the target below. The bull is 4" on the target below, but we would be shooting at a 6" shoot-n-c.

View attachment 42737
A target similar to this. Something us older gents can see at 200 yards.

The intention that GaSmokey had was to separate the break open rifles, which also includes the plunger type rifles. The only exception with the break open rifles is that they will be shooting MODERN if shooting SML.

If it were to be broken down further and for the Omega rifles, then the next person who has a Knight Mountaineer in 50cal will want his rifle included, so on and so forth. Then the next person would want it broken down to round ball vs modern. Next guy wants to separate BP from substitutes. Then............ the guy keeping and posting the scores has to keep up with all of that.

There are no scoring rings on the target below. The bull is 4" on the target below, but we would be shooting at a 6" shoot-n-c.
Isn't being a match director fun? X

Isn't being a match director fun? X
Yes it is some days
Some days not so much.
Imagine being the president of a weekly indoor league designing 150 stages a year
And concurrently being the match director for 2 separate out door monthly matches.
I did it because no one else would.
To save those disciplines in my area.
When participation grew I was able to hand off the reins.
The reward for me is those matches survive today.
It can be a thankless task that is all volunteer.
My hats off to you sir thank you for your willingness to serve thr sport.
As it stands we will have the 2 classes.
We will be asking the participants to sign and identify there weapon.
That way individuals can compare how they did against others with similar weapons.
We need to keep it simple at first.
As time goes on and people step up to administer other distances we can consider
Adding them.

I shot my target at 100 yards with my Renegade open sights, 5 shots. I am not posting the group as i am embarrassed not a hole in the target. I can shoot it again.
The whole purpose is to get out shooting
There are no critics here.
This will tell us as much about ourselves and equiptment as anything and pushes us to get better.
You my friend have taken the first step by assessing where you are at on demand today...
Please go shoot as much as you feel you need to to post up a target....
It's really what it's all about...
It's fun to play and we get better in the process.

The whole purpose is to get out shooting
There are no critics here.
This will tell us as much about ourselves and equiptment as anything and pushes us to get better.
You my friend have taken the first step by assessing where you are at on demand today...
Please go shoot as much as you feel you need to to post up a target....
It's really what it's all about...
It's fun to play and we get better in the process.
This is a perfect response. At least Smokepole had the nerve to post his short coming with his Renegade. It shows that he has limits and needs more practice. I salute him .... but it was funny,

This is a perfect response. At least Smokepole had the nerve to post his short coming with his Renegade. It shows that he has limits and needs more practice. I salute him .... but it was funny,
Funny yeah, shocking & embarrassing. Some where between my sight in at 25 yards of 1 inch. All my prb's went off course . ? is why it missed the backboard. I have put a red dot on it. Now to get all interfering stuff done.

Back