Another new .45 Greaser

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saxtonyoung said:
This 457191 is a bullet that I have wanted to try out for sometime but never acquired the mold. Well this morning I was fortunate to win the bid on one and am looking forward to using it. Of course I will try it as a greased bullet like Lewis is doing but will probably try it in a sabot for 50 & 52 caliber use as well. In the past i have used the 457193 - 405gn bullet as a greased bullet with great success but this new mold will let me shoot a bullet with less weight.

Awesome deal on winning the mold!! I know the mold you won, i was actually gonna bid on it, but ended up getting the 1 have. I think this is gonna be a GREAT little bullet! The 292 Grain part is what got me on it, i wanted a bullet as light as i could get that would stil fly good from my 1:30 twist, It is really neat to sit down at a bench and burn a little tight Group without getting hammered with recoil in the process! I don’t mind recoil, in fact i do quite well with it, but i DON’T enjoy it at all! Next on my list is the Lyman Gould Bullet (457122) I really like Lyman molds, i much prefer a steel/iron mold Over Aluminum. I can have 1 of my Lyman molds up and running tip top, dumping dead on perfect bullets in a HURRY, they are well built, durable bullet molds!!

The Gould mold (457122) is another I used only to practice with but not for hunting. I believe it's a great bullet just never felt I needed a hollow point for the Whitetail I hunt. A few years ago a friend loaned me his mold, he had 2 pins for it, 1 for pouring the regular hp and the other that was flush with the nose for pouring flat points.

Saxtonyoung said:
The Gould mold (457122) is another I used only to practice with but not for hunting. I believe it's a great bullet just never felt I needed a hollow point for the Whitetail I hunt. A few years ago a friend loaned me his mold, he had 2 pins for it, 1 for pouring the regular hp and the other that was flush with the nose for pouring flat points.

I was wondering about the pins, if i could buy both or not? I looked at a brand new mold the other day and it obviously had the hollow point pin, is the flat nose/flush pin something you can buy for 457122, or do you have to get 1 specially made?

He was a machinist and made the extra pin, I wish I had a picture of it . It didn't have a handle but rather a flat plate that was attached to the bottom of one half the mold with a screw. It worked really slick and you could pour without fiddling with a pin, then it you wanted hollow points you just removed the attached pin and used the regular pin as usual.

Saxtonyoung said:
He was a machinist and made the extra pin, I wish I had a picture of it . It didn't have a handle but rather a flat plate that was attached to the bottom of one half the mold with a screw. It worked really slick and you could pour without fiddling with a pin, then it you wanted hollow points you just removed the attached pin and used the regular pin as usual.

I sure like the looks of the little Gould bullet! Forum member edmehlig and i did some bullet trading recently, he sent me plenty to work with, i am excited to get out and try both of these! Ed does an AWESOME job casting, his bullets are spot on! The Lyman Gould bullet has some really cool history behind it, i gotta have this mold! Ed has an awesome way of Lubing his bullets as i mentioned above. The end result is a perfectly lubed and sized bullet ready to load and shoot! I am also impressed with the texture of this ‘Blue Lube’

Ed’s Lyman Gould in the middle (457122) with my new little bullet on the sides (Lyman 457191)

Re: RE: Re: Another new .45 Greaser

Idaholewis said:
Saxtonyoung said:

I sure like the looks of the little Gould bullet! Forum member edmehlig and i did some bullet trading recently, he sent me plenty to work with, i am excited to get out and try both of these! Ed does an AWESOME job casting, his bullets are spot on! The Lyman Gould bullet has some really cool history behind it, i gotta have this mold! Ed has an awesome way of Lubing his bullets as i mentioned above. The end result is a perfectly lubed and sized bullet ready to load and shoot! I am also impressed with the texture of this ‘Blue Lube’

Ed’s Lyman Gould in the middle (457122) with my new little bullet on the sides (Lyman 457191)
What's your lead pure or ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

muzzlestuffer, Mine is Certified 40:1 stuff i recently got from Buffalo Arms (8.5 BHN) I am not sure about Ed’s? They are definitely soft, my guess is pure lead, or close to it

Eds are pure lead.

Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer, Mine is Certified 40:1 stuff i recently got from Buffalo Arms (8.5 BHN) I am not sure about Ed’s? They are definitely soft, my guess is pure lead, or close to it

dbowling said:
Eds are pure lead.

Idaholewis said:
I've been using pure lead with 2% tin I made these 600 grain with my custom accurate mold I size to .504 for my white super safari
ad0f73d580c742cb5d42a719d9ad1b30.jpg

edmehlig said:
Yep, like Dean said mine are pure lead.
I like to use the tin to get better mold fill I run the furnace extra hot to get better mold fill and tap the mold with my wood sprue mallet and probably get 95 % good bullets

Ed is that LBT lube that you use of some other ? Nice looking bullets by the way.

Saxtonyoung said:
Ed is that LBT lube that you use of some other ? Nice looking bullets by the way.
If your referring to the 600's yes it's lbt lube

OK, here is the recipe that I got from Bob Bowers. I've been using it for years and love it

Blue .451 caliber Lube

Ingredients

8 Tablespoons Heavy Mineral Oil
4 Tablespoons Odorless Tasteless Caster Oil
4 Tablespoons Anhydrous Lanolin, slightly rounded
1 Tablespoon Carnauba Turtle Wax Car Wax Paste, Heaping
1 Tablespoon Ivory Soap, shaved
1.5 Tablespoons Paraffin Wax
1 lb White Beeswax
2 Teaspoons Blue Candle Wax Dye (From Michael’s)

Recipe
Place mineral oil, caster oil, paraffin wax, and anhydrous lanolin in a pot to heat. Once the anhydrous lanolin and paraffin wax has melted, bring the mix to medium heat until mix begins to smoke. Add the shaved Ivory soap. The soap will foam and not mix in well till the final step. Add beeswax and blue candle wax dye. Stir until wax has melted completely. Add heaping tablespoon of turtle wax. Stir until mix boils evenly and let boil until done, stirring occasionally. Bring heat to low and wait till all sediment stays on the bottom. Try to keep from having enough heat for mix to smoke. Pour while hot into a container or a 1.5 quart crock-pot in you are going to use the Crock Pot Lubing method. Continue pouring until you reach the sediment. Do not allow the sediment to enter the container.

Crock Pot Lubing
Heat mix in crock-pot on low heat until liquid. Take clear tubing with a 3/8" ID and cut about a 6" piece making sure the end is cut squarely across. Insert the nose of the bullet to be lubed into the tubing till you reach the first groove on the bullet. Dip the bullet into the lube, take out and hold in the air for a second or two. Wipe the excess off the bottom of the bullet on a towel and squeeze the bullet out onto a soft towel. Once you are done, start with the coolest bullets first. Run the bullet through your sizer die, and wipe off any extra lube. The only extra you normally get is a little extra on the nose. Let cool to room temperature overnight and you are ready to hunt!

Pan Lubing (Recommend)
I currently melt my lube in a Dutch oven (Pot within a Pot). Then place my bullets into a silicone bread pan and pour the melted led into the pan until all lands and groves are covered. I let the wax harden for about 1hr and then push the bullets out. If required, I then size them and wipe any excess lube off the nose.

Here's a Youtube video on Pan Lubing and a recipe this guy uses. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click.

Again, I found by letting the lube harden for about 45-60 minutes works best for me.

Ed, That is slightly different than the recipe i got from you in the box with the bullets, there is more ingredients to the one you have listed above here? I will ad these others to the page you sent me, (car wax, paraffin, ivory soap) or just print this 1 off. Thank you for the Recipe, i really like the texture of this stuff! It has a tackiness that stays put really good, Again it reminds me a lot of Bullshop’s NASA (which is AWESOME stuff!)

Back