Found my bullet/load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just kept plugging along with my Mountaineer trying to find a good bullet that was accurate enough for hunting at long range (That's only 300 to 500 yards for me, not you experts)
I was almost convinced that my own cast paper patch bullets were the ticket. That is until today. Encore50 had suggested the 300 gr SST bullet so I had some on hand along with Barnes 209 TEZs. I ran them thru my adjustable sized 3X to .4505". That gave me a snug but not too tight fit. Instead of a felt wad over the powder I cut off the petals of a light blue Harvester CR sabot with an exacto knife. These acted more like a sub base than a wad. Loaded up a bunch of tubes with BH209, 100 gr V, 75 gr W.
First up the Barnes at 100 yards they put 3 into about 2" about 4" above and 1.5" right of where I was sighted in for. It looks like 4 holes but the smaller on is where a sticky came off. Not bad but my cast bullets shot better - keeping them about 1 MOA. Next up was the FTXs after a scope adjustment. Same load. All 3 bullets touching forming a nice little cloverleaf. I believe that will work.20231009_134824.jpg

Last edited:
I swear these muzzleloaders are an enigma! The rifle is the only one I have that shoots both BH209 and SSTs accurately.
I shot the SSTs (saboted) in my Accura V2 and my 700ml and couldn't get any hetter than about 2.5" groups. Pretty much the same deal with bh209. Nothing I shot it out of could I get anything close to MOA accuracy.
So I just bought 3 packs of these bullets from Midsouthshooterssupply.com and i will only shoot my remaining 12 oz or so of bh209 in this rifle.

Damn Bronko, those are both fine groups with good game performing bullets.

I'm jealous. I haven't been able to do any shooting for quite a while. We've been under drought conditions for several months with a state-wide burn ban in effect. The grass on our 20-foot wide rifle range is six inches of dry crispy tinder, as is the brush in the pine trees bordering the range. I just can't chance shooting a muzzle loader in those conditions. One smoldering patch could bring big trouble. It looks like we will be getting some rain later this week. I sure hope so. I need to burn some powder and check loads before the deer season.

I'm now storing information in my belly.
Im going to use that line myself. They will think pappa to be the smartest man alive LOL

per tool/ I add a little oil on the threads to screw it in. Kinda works like a sealant. Not sure its necessary but a drop or twp of oil is cheap.

I just kept plugging along with my Mountaineer trying to find a good bullet that was accurate enough for hunting at long range (That's only 300 to 500 yards for me, not you experts)
I was almost convinced that my own cast paper patch bullets were the ticket. That is until today. Encore50 had suggested the 300 gr SST bullet so I had some on hand along with Barnes 209 TEZs. I ran them thru my adjustable sized 3X to .4505". That gave me a snug but not too tight fit. Instead of a felt wad over the powder I cut off the petals of a light blue Harvester CR sabot with an exacto knife. These acted more like a sub base than a wad. Loaded up a bunch of tubes with BH209, 100 gr V, 75 gr W.
First up the Barnes at 100 yards they put 3 into about 2" about 4" above and 1.5" right of where I was sighted in for. It looks like 4 holes but the smaller on is where a sticky came off. Not bad but my cast bullets shot better - keeping them about 1 MOA. Next up was the FTXs after a scope adjustment. Same load. All 3 bullets touching forming a nice little cloverleaf. I believe that will work.View attachment 38012
So for those of us (me!) still learning the lingo... What bullet was it that grouped well? SST? FTX? I swear, I'll catch up eventually!

Latest posts

Back