Sizing commercial bullets to optimize diameter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a full-bore conical between 300 and 350 grains which will shoot well in my 50 caliber TC Renegade (1-48 twist). Commercial pickings are pretty slim, so I've started shooting 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets. Initial results seem reasonably favorable. While hunting, though, I'd like to be able to load them without a short starter, which means sizing them down from .509 to maybe .503. My guess is that sizing them down would produce better accuracy too. Has anybody tried this? Any suggestions?

I should add - I've used a No Excuses sizing pack to arrive at the .503 diameter. If I end up buying an adjustabe sizing die, I will start out bigger than .503, maybe at .505, and work down until I find just the right diameter.

I'm hoping that somebody has tried this and can give me a report before I lay out the bucks on an adjustable sizer.....

If sizing commercial bullets doesn't work, the next step is to buy a mold and try my hand at casting bullets. I already have an RCBS melting pot, and Accurate Molds has some pretty nifty looking designes for 50 cal bullets in the 350 grain range.

Last edited:
As far as accuracy goes are you using an over powder wad if some kind? That can help a lot..also, I would be careful with downsizing a hunting bullet..especially a heavy conical..a few bumps and shakes and the bullet could move off the powder..it’s been proven that there isn’t any real harm in this but it will effect accuracy if it’s not compressed on the powder the same every time

As far as accuracy goes are you using an over powder wad if some kind? That can help a lot..also, I would be careful with downsizing a hunting bullet..especially a heavy conical..a few bumps and shakes and the bullet could move off the powder..it’s been proven that there isn’t any real harm in this but it will effect accuracy if it’s not compressed on the powder the same every time
Yup - using 54 caliber 1/8th thick felt wad. Definitely want to make sure that the bullet fits tightly enough - after being pushed all the way against the wad and powder - not to move off the wad and powder. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quite a few people refer to the Bullshop as a source for bullets, lube, etc. I've been to their website, but can't figure out how to get information about their products, place orders, or even get in touch with them. How do you go about buying bullets from them? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice! I like the looks of the Hankins dies. Do you size commercial conicals, or ones you've cast yourself?
I emailed Hankins about sizing some No Excuses bullets down. He said his die would work just fine. It would be the same for any commercial or home cast bullets.

It just depends on what rifle I’m shooting. My White .504 seems to shoot just about anything I push down it well so far but I like to size to .5035 for my White. My Optima does best at .499
Inquiring minds want to know BHN on conicals your shooting in the Optima as I just got one (accurate 514 L) and casting now in pure lead and drops @ 501 . My Lyman 450 sizer /luber just touches when run thru the Lyman 501 sizer

I'm looking for a full-bore conical between 300 and 350 grains which will shoot well in my 50 caliber TC Renegade (1-48 twist). Commercial pickings are pretty slim, so I've started shooting 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets. Initial results seem reasonably favorable. While hunting, though, I'd like to be able to load them without a short starter, which means sizing them down from .509 to maybe .503. My guess is that sizing them down would produce better accuracy too. Has anybody tried this? Any suggestions?

I should add - I've used a No Excuses sizing pack to arrive at the .503 diameter. If I end up buying an adjustabe sizing die, I will start out bigger than .503, maybe at .505, and work down until I find just the right diameter.

I'm hoping that somebody has tried this and can give me a report before I lay out the bucks on an adjustable sizer.....

If sizing commercial bullets doesn't work, the next step is to buy a mold and try my hand at casting bullets. I already have an RCBS melting pot, and Accurate Molds has some pretty nifty looking designes for 50 cal bullets in the 350 grain range.
sorry (i had posted errata & deleted it) had my mind on 45cal..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back