50 Cal. R.E.A.L. Lee bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigbenis

Reaction score
Just got the CVA Accura and was wondering if anyone was casting and shooting the 250 grain Lee real bullets? I plan on using Goex FFg and winchester 209 primer Any load suggestions?

I used them for years in both the 45 and the 50, They are one of the best all lead bullets for general shooting and deer hunting, the only reasonable priced conical that compares is the Hornady FPB the Thors are very good but you have to match the size to each gun and the price is truly excessive almost as bad as the power belts.
Molding your own, since I do not know how much molding you do i will mention some basics.
You need to "flux " the melted lead to get the impurities out, I use bees wax a small lump about the size of the head of a big hat pin it will smoke a bit and bring the impurities to the top so you can skim them off.
Also when the lead is up to temperature hold the corner just the corner of the mold in the melted lead until it reaches a good temperature. for casting this will save molding a lot of wrinkled bullets to get the mold hot.
BE SURE THERE IS NO MOISTURE IN ANY MOLDING EQUIPMENT if there is the steam will blow hot lead all over.
The load: In my guns they usually shoot with from 70 to 90 grof powder.

I can't say in all the rifles I have tried, R.E.A.L. conical bullets they fit loose, but then I do not own every muzzleloader model out there. REAL stands for rifling engaged at loading. This means they start out kind of hard because they are biting into the rifle.

My experiences with them are much the same as Lee's. They are accurate but I found after 100 yards that accuracy took a real nose dive. They are deadly. They were all we used to hunt deer with out of our Hawkins and Renegades. When you put one of them in a good spot, they expand and do a LOT of damage.

They are not only easy to cast, but cheap to cast. A simple LEE mold and you can produce some excellent conical bullets. But will they shoot well out of an Accura... I have no idea. The mistake a lot of people make is they push them too hard. I found with 70 grains I got great accuracy and deadly results when hunting with them. They are not a slip fit conical. And they do stay on the powder.

I agree with Lee. I've never had a loose fitting one though. I used them in my Rem 700 ML's in .50 and .54. I always use an Oxyoke or wonder wad under them. For the .50 they make a 250gr and a 320gr. The 320's over 120gr T7 FFFG shot around an inch @100 yds. For the .54 they make a 300gr and a 380gr which is the one that shoots best for me. I use 160gr T7 FFG with the mentioned felt wad and they cut one ragged hole at 100yds,but like ALL bore sized projectile they do drop like a rock. At 200 yards, should you misjudge the distance by 10 yards you'll slip it under the belly or wail it over his back. I shot a 10 point three seasons ago in the hills of Southern Ohio at 120 yards on a run and the 380 gr bullet caught him in the spine. He hit the ground dead, I recovered the slug where it plowed the side of pasture and the 380gr bullet still weighed 335 grs. When I skinned out the buck he fell in two halves off the gambrel. Devastating damage for an old school bullet. Try them, you'll get a lot of cheap shooting with them. Usually the longer and heavier of the two made for each hit harder. The shorter/lighter weights of each will fiz out at 100 yards like Cayuga wrote. Good Shooting!

I cast & hunted with the 320 grn 50 cal Lee REAL mold. You have to just about use pure lead, so it goes into the rifling easier. A problem you may see is that once it engraves on the way in, it may raise up off the powder charge with any rough gun handling. That is a caution I saw printed somewhere. They shot well in my Knight. I took one deer with them in fine fashion. I now mostly just use a 45cal bullet in a sabot. It's just easier to deal with, stays nice & snug on the charge.

Latest posts

Back