45 Cal REAL bullets advice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is such a different experience, we usually use a .30-06, so the whole difference in recoil, the cloud of smoke, the massive flame out the muzzle is a real eye opener. Just a lot of fun. We have a lot of Sambar deer in our area, there is a minimum of .270 calibre restriction on them, the 06 is our my only centrefire that is legal so my Daughter and I normally take turns carrying the rifle and camera. Now we are going to take turns carrying the 06 and the Kentucky.
Under 75, the Kentucky carrier takes the shot, over 75 it's the responsibility of the 06.

So I tried the 250gn REALs using 70, then 75gns of FFG. They shot ok, need a slight adjustment to the sights, but I might wait until I try the 200gn REALs first, if they work well I will get a mould, of not, I might do more development work using the 250's. They penetration I got on my target was pretty impressive đź‘Ś VideoCapture_20230812-184744.jpgVideoCapture_20230812-154958.jpg

Nice scenery there. Love the muzzle flash.
Thanks, it's a mates place, there is the little dam you see here but 25 metres behind where I took the photo is the Murray river. Its about 220 yards wide at that point.
I wish I could claim it was a perfectly timed photo, but it's a still from the video I took.

We are getting things together for y'all. I know were sending Maxi-balls n the REALs. I have the REALs in a bag on my work table.
Thank you so much. It was a lot of fun yesterday, put about 25 rounds downrange. The 250's flew well, no evidence of tumbling. Heaviest charge I tried was 75 grains of FFG. I would not want to be playing catch with those things, they penetrated more twice as far as the PRBs into the target board and made a pretty impressive "whack" on impact.
I made a mould in my workshop that casts 245 grain Hollow-point conicals that you have to run with a patch. Should have heard the hissing noise that made flying through the air..!
The days highlight however, was hearing my daughter yell "Wow, that is so cool" and looking downrange to see a perfect smoke ring about 4 feet in diameter slowly rolling towards the target.
I think I might be hooked on this blackpowder stuff.
🤔🤔🤔

Latest posts

Back