Help identify white leech found chest cavity of deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcollins8682

Reaction score
Shot a deer yesterday 4 o'clock hung in a tree overnight 35 degrees deer was hanging upside down found a white very large maggot or like a leech where you cut the esophagus please look at pictures help identify. is it safe to eat?
Can someone help me post pictures I can email them to you.....
Leech looking thing is at least 1/2 inch long

Gross....

ill pm you my email and ill post the pics.

Hunting in the desert we see them in the nose cavity of the desert mulies, never seen them on the body of a deer but I have seen them on rabbits, looks gross but meet is fine the ones I seen on rabbits are usually under the skin on top of the meat never in the muscle, most of the time they stay on the skin of a rabbit

Here are Jeff's pics

IMG_20151203_072317_zpsddy8ihog.jpg

IMG_20151203_072421_zps9x6dj0yn.jpg

thats a bot fly larvea we see them on cows alot...nasty critters if you get one on you..sux pullin one out...
Al

look for young larvea in the meat when you process it...they are prob gone by now due to the cold...and no blood circulating...but good to check for them....will be easy to spot...

Al

Defiantly botfly, may have found strange location to survive, they need opening to air, but in esophagus...

Would not be concerned on rest of meat, local individual

Back