10 Bore Purdey Style Double Rifle Builds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StolzerSons

Reaction score
I've been working on the reproduction of a pair of 10 Bore Purdey Style Caplock Double Rifles since January.

I thought you guys might like to follow along.

Part 1 :[youtube]EFQgWikcA0E[/youtube]
Part 2 : [youtube]_Xo0Z34XU68[/youtube]
Part 3 : [youtube]KYoPG1W0smo[/youtube]
Part 4 : [youtube]fK4q-ompI04[/youtube]
Part 5 : [youtube]pccN_MYBR3Q[/youtube]
Part 6 : [youtube]EyBrmnlxRjY[/youtube]
Part 7 : [youtube]5KwbvDeM3A8[/youtube]
Part 8 : [youtube]54ee6LCH07A[/youtube]
Part 9 : [youtube]CMNBRXF_rMw[/youtube]
Part 10 : [youtube]rbwBwN9A9NY[/youtube]
Part 11 : [youtube]AoI30_6C_UA[/youtube]
Part 12 : [youtube]oahiELYBoz4[/youtube]
Part 13 : [youtube]4TQYXEHDRck[/youtube]
Part 14 : [youtube]R7jC_R2K6Kc[/youtube]

This will bring you up to date with this weeks work. I'll keep posting updates as things progress.

I hope you enjoy these,

Colin

Extremely interesting Colin, from what I have watched so far....well done!

Watched your entire series....looking forward to the next chapters. Very well done Colin!

Thank you, I should have something to post either late Saturday or Early Sunday.

Colin

This week I didn’t get hardly anything accomplished on the Load development and Regulation like I had intended to. You know the old saying, if you ever want to here God laugh tell him your plans. I planned to start doing load development on Monday and then move on to Regulating the barrels by the end of this week, instead what I got was Rain, Thunderstorms, high Winds and Tornadoes, nothing that favored being outside shooting. Needless to say I spent the bulk of my week inside my shop building a new shooting bench and target. So this weeks video for what it’s worth has my new range and an edited version of load development and regulation from a previous video I did last year.

[youtube]SP2KLA-X3WA[/youtube]

Enjoy,

Colin

Load development and regulation.
[youtube]1roM8Ek0Aag[/youtube]

Enjoy,

Colin

Solder clean up and polishing.

[youtube]8zVfsgY9chU[/youtube]

Enjoy,

Colin

Keep the progress up on here Colin. Viewed it on youtube, but nothing here yet. Looking good!

It’s that time of year when even the easy work makes me poor down sweat, high temp and high humidity, just standing still in my shop was bad this week BUT the work has to get done. This weeks video includes sanding, polishing and finish screws fit up.

[youtube]VVAtT09CJ2I[/youtube]

Enjoy,

Colin

This week I spent filling the grain and applying the first coats of oil finish to the Walnut Stock. There won’t be another update for a few weeks because my Wife and I leave Tuesday for a two week trip to Wyoming to visit family and go to her family reunion. My brother and I will be spending a day doing a guided float/fly fishing the Big Horn River and we plan to sneak away to South Pass to fish the stream up there.

[youtube]0EQd9TNolnE[/youtube]

Enjoy,

Colin

Colin,

Great work on the rifle and videos. Very cool how you Regulate the barrels, I always wondered how that was done. I am personally really enjoying following the build. Thanks for posting it!

You mentioned in the last video that if you want a more matte finish you polish it back. What do you like to use to cut the gloss back yet still keep that finish smooth?

Thank You, I'm glad you are enjoying the videos.

After the final coat of finish is completely dry, then I either rub it down with the Gray colored Finishing pads(Very Very Fine) or I use 000000(six ought) steel wool, either one will take the shiny reflective surface off of the finish without loosing the overall luster of the finish or putting visible scratches in the finish. The more you rub the duller it will get, clear down to a dull matte finish if you want to go that far.

Colin

then I either rub it down with the Gray colored Finishing pads(Very Very Fine) or I use 000000(six ought) steel wool,

I had never heard of 6 ought steel wool. :shock: It is not that easy to find, at least in small qantities. McMaster Carr has the Lt Gray pads though.

I know it’s been over a month since the last update but there really wasn’t any new information to update, I’ve mostly been polishing metal and working on wood finish. While I’ve been waiting on wood finish to dry, this has been slow going with the high humidity, I’ve been working on a few repair projects unrelated to the 10 Bore builds.

I’m back up to date on quite a few things so I’ve been working on the engraving and Color Case Hardening this last week.

[youtube]ziwX10MzOKg[/youtube]

Enjoy,

Colin

Thanks for the update Colin. I have been wondering how it was going.

Last video update for these two rifles:

[youtube]7ewoQAGY4Bo[/youtube]

In case the video doesn't appear here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ewoQAGY4Bo&feature=youtu.be

Or the blog links:
http://stolzergunsmithing.wordpress...aplock-double-rifles-part-22-finished-rifles/

http://stolzergunsmithing.wordpress.com/

The left handed Maple stocked rifle:
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

More Pictures can be seen here: http://s269.photobucket.com/user/cstolzer338/slideshow/10%20Bore%20Purdey%20SXS%20LH%20Maple?sort=9

The right handed walnut stocked rifle:
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

More pictures of this one can be seen here:http://s269.photobucket.com/user/cstolzer338/slideshow/10%20Bore%20Purdey%20SXS%20RH%20Walnut?sort=9

Both rifles weigh around 13.5 pounds. Both have 26" Barrels, both are iron mounted furniture, both are oil finished and Semi-Flattop Checkered.

Both are regulated for 50 yards, 250grs FFg Goex and Patched Roundball.

The maple stocked rifle is Rust Blued with CCH Locks, Hammers and Tang.
The walnut stocked rifle is Rust Browned with CCH Locks and Hammers.

Enjoy,

Colin

Latest posts

Back