Chasing Ghosts - The Sika Chronicles- Chapter 1 R&D

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The research and gear up continues, based on research I’ve ordered not one but two thermacells to add to my kit, also upgraded to a better headlamp as I’m realizing with all the research I’m doing is that if I intend to be successful up there. I’m going to be hiking and climbing in the dark more than I currently have ever done.

I’m trying to get my kit assembled and practicing correctly and be confident with it long before I get to Maryland so I have the confidence needed to do what I know I need to do to execute.

Additionally I continue to scour the internet looking for any information on these critters ,

I have sense purchased a onX subscription and taken some time off from work in may to actually drive up and put boots on the ground and get a feel for the area.

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

I’ve been trying to find information on vital locations and shot placement on these particular creatures. As a lot of the information I read or listen to in podcast contests that they are hardy animals and don’t die quickly,

Curious to if neck or high shoulder shots with the woodsman. W/225gr startip w/100gr by volume BH209 is going to produce enough hydrostatic shock to disrupt the nervous system enough to anchor them .

I’m thinking of eventually compiling all the information I find on all these topics and questions I have , as to have a place for others to start.

Anyways the more I read, the more I listen, the more i am looking forward to putting boots on the ground and start actually compiling my own information from my own experiences there.

When I pull into the parking lot of whatever location I finally decide to land and step foot out of the vehicle, chapter two begins.

Until then, I still have a bit of gear research and purchases to make and I will keep looking for any and all information I can find on these goals of mine.

If anyone ever has any information to share I’m all ears and will be most appreciative ,

Thanks
Will

Curious to if neck or high shoulder shots with the woodsman. W/225gr startip w/100gr by volume BH209 is going to produce enough hydrostatic shock to disrupt the nervous system enough to anchor them .
Stag Sikas only weigh up to about 90-100 lbs right? I’ve never hunted them but I’ve killed a pile of similar sized big game - antelope, impala, etc. I’d say that load has more than enough thump to put one down.

Stag Sikas only weigh up to about 90-100 lbs right? I’ve never hunted them but I’ve killed a pile of similar sized big game - antelope, impala, etc. I’d say that load has more than enough thump to put one down.
I asked because I’m likely to find myself in a pretty inhospitable environment that will make tracking a nightmare especially while loosing light.

I’ve found very little information on my searches on vitals and shot placement other than word of mouth.

It’s my understanding that there vitals are much further forward and much smaller comparatively to even small white tails,

I’ve heard archers say they try and staple their front legs together to prevent them from running into the next county and that if they can get a second arrow in them. They do it.

Watching videos of people hunt them w/rifle I heard guides tell the clients to try and break both of their shoulders to prevent them from running off for ever.

A lot of comments out there about how they can take an arrow or a bullet and flee a long long ways.

I don’t know how much of this is true,

With as little meat as in them I’d like to not destroy as much of the shoulders as possible,

Which is why I’m curious to if that combination is going to have enough energy to disrupt the central nervous system and drop them where they stand with a high shoulder or neck shot.

I haven’t been able to find any data out there
On the the patriot out of the box with 100grn bh209 by volume and the 225grn startip bullets and crushed rib sabots woodman sales.

When I receive mine and get her sighted I. I’ll have to set up the chronograph and run some numbers.

The load you mention should give you about 1500 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards. Should provide a 90 lb animal with plenty of “shock and awe!” Yeah, I’ve never seen anything on vital location on a Sika. If they are like African game, then the vitals would be further forward. Aim for high shoulder and the location of the heart/lungs won’t matter.

That load is more than enough for Sika deer. Live weight stag usually 80 to 100 pounds depending on age. Shoot them just as you would a whitetail, never had an issue. Only thing I can add to that is, if you’re in the swamps/ marsh shoot through the shoulders. It’s tough tracking through water and phragmites. If you happen to be in pine thickets and hardwoods, we call these land Barron sika shoot through lungs. I’ve killed a bunch with 6x45 and 85 grain bullet.

Muzzleloader killed.. Buddy of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sincerely appreciate the information, and the confidence it has put in my decisions, this confidence will help me tremendously when it comes to having to make split second decisions on the fly in a very unfamiliar environment to me.

Now it’s time for me to do my part and become proficient with my new kit, as to be able to execute accordingly if the opportunity presents itself, much appreciated.
The load you mention should give you about 1500 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards. Should provide a 90 lb animal with plenty of “shock and awe!” Yeah, I’ve never seen anything on vital location on a Sika. If they are like African game, then the vitals would be further forward. Aim for high shoulder and the location of the heart/lungs won’t matter.

That load is more than enough for Sika deer. Live weight stag usually 80 to 100 pounds depending on age. Shoot them just as you would a whitetail, never had an issue. Only thing I can add to that is, if you’re in the swamps/ marsh shoot through the shoulders. It’s tough tracking through water and phragmites. If you happen to be in pine thickets and hardwoods, we call these land Barron sika shoot through lungs. I’ve killed a bunch with 6x45 and 85 grain bullet.

Muzzleloader killed.. Buddy of mine.

Haven’t given up my pursuit in researching or preparing for this hunt, however recently I realized that this is a hunt I’m planning is likely just as much the pursuit of adventure and a ideal of something as it is actually stocking the freezer.

And ultimately in my true goals as I become a better and more productive and functional hunter.

Is the freezer.

So without giving up on this hunt at all I took a little break and started looking at things I can do a little closer to home in the meantime as I have some before boots are ever on the ground in Maryland.

That day is truly something I look forward to and I will continue to do my do diligence to get my self there in as a prepared and educated manner as possible, if anyone ever has any advice at all I’m all ears.

I’m just spending a little time, trying to put the new equipment I’ve purchased into practice and actually putting my boots on the ground somewhere a little closer to home with the goal of putting a little meat in the freezer and gaining more experience that will hopefully make me more productive on this particular adventure,

I’ll be back here as this quest continues but for a small moment I realized I had to look at my overall goal in a bigger scope.

If in fact your at all interested in my personal goals becoming a more proficient hunter over all. Keep an eye out for new threads about different critters closer to the outer banks and the river systems that surround them.

Thanks for all the advice and any further insight.

Last edited:
Samoset yes, my feeling exactly. And in my experience closer to home will give you more trips into the woods to work out your systems and learn from your mistakes my friend. I killed my first whitetail when I was 11 years old. I'm 65 this year and average 16 or so a year. Still get outsmarted or make mistakes and even miss once in a while. The Sika is a whole different level in my opinion. Mainly because of its habitat and that it is mostly nocturnal.

Will: Do not give up on this hunt! You are going in the right direction and you just need to get your feet on the ground. Try to find a hunting buddy/partner. You're too young to pass it up and it's not really that difficult. Mosquitos aren't unbeatable with enough deet.

If you think you need a headlight, at least get a red or green lens. But practice walking in the dark. It's not that difficult. Of course you need to go slow, especially in unfamilar terrain, and have eye protection. But you always wear eye protection when shooting, so that's no problem.

Stalking is a wonderful way to hunt. Your Patriot is perfect. It's difficult to have the patience to do it right. The best thing I can offer about stalking is to never have a destination. If you do, you'll go too fast. Don't say to yourself " I want to get up to that tree". If you do, you'll go too fast to get there. You can only walk into the wind. If the wind swirls, you've sent a cone of scent downwind.... don't go there. Sit or stand still for 20 minutes regularly. 20. A standing deer will stand in one place for 20 minutes and just watch everywhere around him. You'll see his head turn. This is something you can practice at or near home. It's a great way to see what's happening on your land.

Will: Do not give up on this hunt! You are going in the right direction and you just need to get your feet on the ground. Try to find a hunting buddy/partner. You're too young to pass it up and it's not really that difficult. Mosquitos aren't unbeatable with enough deet.

If you think you need a headlight, at least get a red or green lens. But practice walking in the dark. It's not that difficult. Of course you need to go slow, especially in unfamilar terrain, and have eye protection. But you always wear eye protection when shooting, so that's no problem.

Stalking is a wonderful way to hunt. Your Patriot is perfect. It's difficult to have the patience to do it right. The best thing I can offer about stalking is to never have a destination. If you do, you'll go too fast. Don't say to yourself " I want to get up to that tree". If you do, you'll go too fast to get there. You can only walk into the wind. If the wind swirls, you've sent a cone of scent downwind.... don't go there. Sit or stand still for 20 minutes regularly. 20. A standing deer will stand in one place for 20 minutes and just watch everywhere around him. You'll see his head turn. This is something you can practice at or near home. It's a great way to see what's happening on your land.
Thanks for the advice, I’m not giving up on this hunt, I just found myself investing to much time researching this hunt which is about 6 months away and not focusing on potential things to stock the freezer with in the meantime, that may allow me to put the gear I purchased for this trip into practice, I in fact purchased a peaks , duo headlamp and started using it, it truly trumps my previous headlamps, I may purchase a second as a backup.

I look forward to my sika deer hunting adventures. I’m simply trying to figure out if there is potential for putting something else in the freezer until I get there. I’d like to explore public land hogs , within a hour and a half from home.

One place may have nutria to hunt as well and be a very similar environment to the Bay Area.

Sincerely appreciate the encouragement and advice,

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back