#11 cap or musket cap?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantihunter

Reaction score
I've always shot #11 caps on my T/C Renegade .50 with Goex Ffg black powder and conicals. Now I can't find #11 caps anywhere, but musket caps are easy to find and sell for about $9.00/100. I have a musket cap nipple. Is there any downside to shooting musket caps as opposed to #11s? Should I just try to ride out the storm and then stock up on #11s when they're available again?

I shoot musket caps and haven’t noticed a downside. I always figured a little extra flame couldn’t hurt. I also use bp substitute so the extra fire really helps set it off

The only issue that sometimes arises is whether the hammer nose will strike the musket nipple square on. On the Renegade, you might have to file the edges of the hammer nose so it will strike the musket nipple better. If the hammer does not strike the nipple square you may have to shim the hammer out from the lock plate, or bend the hammer in depending. I do not recommend bending the hammer. Others have done it with no problems, but Murphy works in spades for me so i would not try it.

The only issue that sometimes arises is whether the hammer nose will strike the musket nipple square on. On the Renegade, you might have to file the edges of the hammer nose so it will strike the musket nipple better. If the hammer does not strike the nipple square you may have to shim the hammer out from the lock plate, or bend the hammer in depending. I do not recommend bending the hammer. Others have done it with no problems, but Murphy works in spades for me so i would not try it.
I wouldnt say no problems exactly. But you need to heat that hammer redhot to bend without breaking. Ask me how i know.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a tin of CCI 4 wing musket caps ($6.99) and installed my T/C musket cap nipple. Everything lines up perfectly and the hammer strikes the nipple flatly. I tried 5 musket cap only tests and they all ignited just fine. Will try to get to the range this weekend to do some shooting and see how they do. So far, I don't see a problem and I'm sure the extra flame will ignite the 80 grains of 2F with NO problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a tin of CCI 4 wing musket caps ($6.99) and installed my T/C musket cap nipple. Everything lines up perfectly and the hammer strikes the nipple flatly. I tried 5 musket cap only tests and they all ignited just fine. Will try to get to the range this weekend to do some shooting and see how they do. So far, I don't see a problem and I'm sure the extra flame will ignite the 80 grains of 2F with NO problem.

Hey there my friend, It sounds like you got the “Re-enactment“ Musket Caps? I personally have never tried them, But i have heard a LOT of Negative/Bad about them. I hear they are a very Weak Cap compared to the German 1081s? But If you are using Real Blackpowder you should be fine? It doesn’t take much to Set Real Blackpowder off

Here are the Weak Re-Enactor Musket Caps (They even say “For Reenactment use” right on the Can
NWAZIBA.jpg

And here are the Good RWS (German) 1081 Musket Caps
2s7UFWQ.jpg

I use, and swear by #11 percussion Caps, I shoot THOUSANDS of them a year, Mostly CCi Magnums, But i also use straight CCi #11s, The RWS 1075 (10-3/4) PLUS Caps are GREAT as well, But they Cost a Fortune, Double the price of CCi #11 Magnums, And i just don’t feel there is much, to any Difference in them VS the CCi Magnums, if there is? It is teeny tiny

I bought the reenactment caps, but I can get the German caps for $7.99/100. I'll get a couple of tins of them to try. They are readily available at a nearby LGS, but I CAN'T find #11s anywhere. I'd like to stick with the #11s, but currently I can't find them. I am shooting Goex black powder, NOT a replacement powder.

I bought the reenactment caps, but I can get the German caps for $7.99/100. I'll get a couple of tins of them to try. They are readily available at a nearby LGS, but I CAN'T find #11s anywhere. I'd like to stick with the #11s, but currently I can't find them. I am shooting Goex black powder, NOT a replacement powder.

I bet you won’t have any trouble with the Reenactment Caps and Goex Real Blackpowder. The problems i read was with Sub powders (Pyrodex, Triple 7) If you can get the RWS 1081 Caps you WON’T go wrong by grabbing a Pack! See how much difference you can tell in the RWS 1081s and the Reenactment Caps? I would be REALLY interested to know

I had to go to Salt Lake today for work and happened to go in a LGS. Lo and behold, they had some CCI #11 caps at $5.99/100. I bought 6 tins and my buddy got the other 4. We cleaned out the store. That's the only place I've been able to find #11s between Logan and St. George. I passed on the Musket caps and feel I have enough #11s to last me awhile. Thanks again for everyone's input. Specifically for Idaholewis, my wife and I are retiring next spring to an area between Ashton and Island Park, right off the Warm River. Will live out our lives there. I have no idea about hunting opportunities around there. I'm interested in deer, elk and bear. If you can provide me with any hints on where to start looking, I'd appreciate it. Shoot straight, friend.

I had to go to Salt Lake today for work and happened to go in a LGS. Lo and behold, they had some CCI #11 caps at $5.99/100. I bought 6 tins and my buddy got the other 4. We cleaned out the store. That's the only place I've been able to find #11s between Logan and St. George. I passed on the Musket caps and feel I have enough #11s to last me awhile. Thanks again for everyone's input. Specifically for Idaholewis, my wife and I are retiring next spring to an area between Ashton and Island Park, right off the Warm River. Will live out our lives there. I have no idea about hunting opportunities around there. I'm interested in deer, elk and bear. If you can provide me with any hints on where to start looking, I'd appreciate it. Shoot straight, friend.

You will be close to Leadore, that is where i wish i lived!! What a BEAUTIFUL Place!! You will have everything you want/need in that Area :lewis:

April 29, 2022 is the day I walk out the door. The contractor will be finished building our new home and we'll be on our way. I've explored a little of the Fish Creek area east of Ashton. It's gorgeous and only about 4 miles from our home. Can't wait to explore the Leadore area.

Hey there my friend, It sounds like you got the “Re-enactment“ Musket Caps? I personally have never tried them, But i have heard a LOT of Negative/Bad about them. I hear they are a very Weak Cap compared to the German 1081s? But If you are using Real Blackpowder you should be fine? It doesn’t take much to Set Real Blackpowder off

Here are the Weak Re-Enactor Musket Caps (They even say “For Reenactment use” right on the Can
NWAZIBA.jpg

And here are the Good RWS (German) 1081 Musket Caps
2s7UFWQ.jpg

I use, and swear by #11 percussion Caps, I shoot THOUSANDS of them a year, Mostly CCi Magnums, But i also use straight CCi #11s, The RWS 1075 (10-3/4) PLUS Caps are GREAT as well, But they Cost a Fortune, Double the price of CCi #11 Magnums, And i just don’t feel there is much, to any Difference in them VS the CCi Magnums, if there is? It is teeny tiny

Latest posts

Back