#11 percussion cap to Mag spark

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzy2002

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm about ready to pull out my cva hawken .50 percussion rifle and I'm looking to get some new caps for it and came across this conversion called the Mag spark. Can anyone tell me if this is a good upgrade for the percussion cap rifles? I'd like to get a good ignition system for it and looks like the 209 primer conversion is the way to go but I have not seen many reviews on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272366868824?_mwBanner=1

I never owned one because all my sidelock rifles never needed them. I have heard that they will re-cock the hammer on a sidelock but I can not verify that fact. I would guess if you have a hard to ignite rifle they might be the way to go. But I think its more a gimmick then anything else.

Save the 209 primers for inlines. If you want to get better ignition, use a musket cap. Although an #11 cap works just fine if you pay attention.

I bought a MagSpark conversion to try when percussion caps seemed to be getting expensive and scarce. It worked perfectly on my TC Grey Hawk (patent breech), but I wouldn't even consider using one in place of a nipple on a drum. With the MagSpark in place I was able to use BH209 in the sidelock! BH209 requires a sealed breech, so will not (reliably) fire with percussion caps.

209s in the MagSpark should be more weather resistant than percussion caps.

Sidelocks are for those who accept their limitations. It's an antique weapon. Trying to modernize it seems so wrong to me.

Wouldn't an inline be better for those who really don't want 18-19 century technology?

Yes, i'm picky about keeping sidelocks period correct. It's my opinion and I don't mind expressing it.

Muley Hunter said:
Sidelocks are for those who accept their limitations. It's an antique weapon. Trying to modernize it seems so wrong to me.

Wouldn't an inline be better for those who really don't want 18-19 century technology?

Yes, i'm picky about keeping sidelocks period correct. It's my opinion and I don't mind expressing it.

I prefer to hunt with flintlocks, but there are days when the weather doesn't cooperate. As I mentioned, I bought the MagSpark when caps seemed to be scarce and expensive, so an alternative to keep my percussion rifles working. I use nothing but real blackpowder in all but the single inline that I own.

Hows that?

(2) really nice pieces there. Congrats on harvesting both the dead-one and the living beauty.

I agree on the flintlock part. I won't use anything anymore. That's a sure cure for caps that are hard to find. Although the answer is to order them when you order BP, so you don't have to pay Hazmat on them or worry about local stores carrying them. Flintlocks are a better answer.

My post was not so much at you, but everybody who tries to turn a sidelock into a modern weapon. Fast twist barrels so modern bullets can be shot, scopes etc etc.....

I get flak on forums like this, but who cares? I'm with like minded on traditional forums.

Now watch someone will ask me why i'm here. GM probably.

There was a time when a muzzleloader using a 209 required filling out a 4473...
Ordering gun flints from overseas will get you a visit from the Gestapo. Oops, sorry, I meant the ATFE. Still officially war materials... Order them as geological samples and all is well ( so said Dixon's).
Use what you like. Funny that caps of all flavors are significantly more expensive than 209s.
Happy Thanksgiving to all! Inliners, sidelockers, rocklockers, and cap busters all.

The used Lyman Deerstalker I bought a few months ago also came with a "possibles bag" filled with goodies. There was a standard nipple and four items I didn't recognize. They turned out to be Mag-Spark adapters. I used #11 caps on my first few range visits, but experienced several misfires and hangfires. Then I switched to the Mag-Sparks and the CCI rifle primers which also came in my possibles bag.
The Mag-Sparks have worked flawlessly without even a hint of hesitation. I would trust them in a hunting situation, although trying to reload for a quick follow-up shot would be almost impossible.

Fiddler said:
The used Lyman Deerstalker I bought a few months ago also came with a "possibles bag" filled with goodies. There was a standard nipple and four items I didn't recognize. They turned out to be Mag-Spark adapters. I used #11 caps on my first few range visits, but experienced several misfires and hangfires. Then I switched to the Mag-Sparks and the CCI rifle primers which also came in my possibles bag.
The Mag-Sparks have worked flawlessly without even a hint of hesitation. I would trust them in a hunting situation, although trying to reload for a quick follow-up shot would be almost impossible.

I'd bet anything you weren't using black powder?

You're right. For quite a while after buying my rifle I couldn't find any real black powder locally. I had to use Pyrodex or not shoot at all.

Very few are lucky enough to be able to buy BP locally. The rest of us buy it online. I get mine from Graf's. Even with shipping and hazmat fees it comes to $22lb. Which is cheaper than T7, but a little more than Pyro depending on where you buy it.

It will give you reliable ignition with caplocks and the only option for flintlocks.

To be honest. When I shot caplocks I used musket caps. Although I had luck with #11 caps too, but you have to be finicky about keeping everything clean and dry.

Ok so i had some time to play with my Cva hawken. I have looked had issues with my #11 caps going off on the first try, and I think it is that my nipple is too big. I have one nipple here that my caps slide onto nicely (wrong threads so it won't work unfortunately) and the nipple that's on the rifle itself is a bit too big for the cap, When I put the cap on it , it doesn't seat all the way down, so when I pull the trigger the first time, it doesn't ignite the nipple, it just fully seats it, then the following trigger pull ignites the cap. The caps I'm using are #11 caps, is there a Bigger cap I can use that's bigger then the #11? I thought about just filing the nipple down a little so the cap will slide on the nipple all the way down. Would this be ok?

#11 caps will fit. You just need to find the right combo of cap and nipple. They don't all fit together right as you found out.

I don't have the sizes of all the nipples sold.

Here's the different sizes of caps.

Chart7_28_11.png

You can use the hammer to seat the cap on the nipple. After capping the rifle, lower the hammer on the nipple and push it forward to seat the cap.

That's exactly what I figured out also. Using the hammer to seat it seems to work. I may take my nipple in to a shop and ask them if they have one that fits better inside the cap. Thanks for the suggestions

Muzzy2002 said:
That's exactly what I figured out also. Using the hammer to seat it seems to work. I may take my nipple in to a shop and ask them if they have one that fits better inside the cap. Thanks for the suggestions

I like the "Hot Shot" type nipples for #11 caps. If your caps are too tight, just chuck that nipple in a drill and use a file to make it a little smaller in diameter.

I'm going to have to. I went out and shot some today and didn't have any issues but I'm still going to try to modify the one I have to work better. Thank you all for your help

I used a mag spark on my carbine sidelock last season, it worked just fine my only reason was because I couldn't find #11 caps for the life of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back