160 Pound "Doe"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
160 Pound "Doe"

A friend invited my granddaughter and I to hunt on his lease this weekend. On Saturday morning it sounded like everyone in the county was shooting at deer except us.

KLee%20Hunt%203web_zpslgbk0uif.jpg

We stuck it out and at 11:00 two does crossed the road 280-300 yards north of us and a minute later one big gray-looking doe popped up in the only open spot 130 yards in front of us. My granddaughter wanted to use her shotgun with buckshot so I had the only rifle. I shot and the doe actually did a back flip. Then we saw her leg on the right, an ear in front and a foot to the left as she flipped and flopped in a 20' diameter circle mostly hidden by thick brush.

I had never seen a hit deer act like that before so we waited 30 minutes and went and got Nyssa out of the truck to track in case the doe was wounded and ran off. The fellow who invited us was at the truck with his son and two members of the club. We went out into the grown over cut and found the doe dead. She was real big. Then I saw the bases of "her" antlers. They were both broken off at the base and she wasn't a she but a he.

We dragged him to the road and put a doe tag on and took some photos.

160%20lb.%20Buck%201web_zpsxeosauf7.jpg

Broke%20Horn%20Buck%204web_zpsv7fr6bhr.jpg

KLee%20broke%20horn%20buck%201aWeb_zps6eclimdr.jpg

We hunted the next day too but we never saw another deer. My granddaughter said she had fun. She also had to rub it in that her buck this year had bigger antlers than mine . :p

Re: 160 Pound "Doe"

Congrats Pato! Love to see the grandkids along on hunts.

Nice story, mate! Thanks for taking us along! 

Your granddaughter is an ace!

Great story!

My turn.  Some years ago when I was younger man, had hair, two good knees, and could climb up to a tree stand I was out for a weekend of bow hunting.  I shot a nice little doe at about 35 yards.  When I got up to her, I notice little 1/2" buds of beginning antlers!  Of course, I thought I had killed a buck by mistake.  Well, I rolled "it" over to dress it out and it WAS a doe.  Only doe I ever saw with horns.

Thats cool! That's definately an anterless deer!

Congrats.

Todd

Man, that buck goes through all the effort to knock his antlers off to be safe and still gets shot!  Makes you wonder how big they were?  
All kidding aside its great to see another good hunt with your granddaughter.

Back