175gr Barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omidv

Reaction score
Has anyone shot the 175gr Barnes 40cal in a 45cal muzzleloader? How did they perform on paper or on game? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 46FB0CD8-B7DC-440F-AE10-3E537551C91B.jpeg
    46FB0CD8-B7DC-440F-AE10-3E537551C91B.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 1
I just ordered some. The 195’s work very well as you already know. I don’t think 20g less will make a difference on deer, and the price was right.
I ordered 4 packs also, thinking the same thing.

These 175gr aren't limited to just 45cal MLs.
Harvester Sabot Co has the blue 50/40cal sabots for 50-cal MLs. This is a nice soft load for beginners, women.... even male adults that are recoil sensitive, or have shoulder issues.

Works best in-combination with two pellet powder loads, or any loose powder (not named Blackhorn 209) deploying 80-90-100 grains.

I've used several different 50/40 bullet offerings at shooting ranges to 150 yards. The Harvester Crush Rib 50/40s are what I recommend for first purchase.

Last edited:
Harvester Sabot Co has the blue 50/40cal sabots for 50-cal MLs. This is a nice soft load for beginners, women.... even male adults that are recoil sensitive, or have shoulder issues.

Works best in-combination with two pellet powder loads, or any loose powder (not named Blackhorn 209) deploying 80-90-100 grains.

I've used several different 50/40 bullet offerings at shooting ranges to 150 yards. The Harvester Crush Rib 50/40s are what I recommend for first purchase.
Good to know. Thank you.

Happy to help.
This bullet design originated with Buffalo Bullet Co in 50-cal only around 25 years ago - in lead only. Then Cecil at prbullet came out with one almost identical - then Barnes tried it out in copper-clad.
I might still have some leaded ones, even after selling several boxes to a ML forums member around 15 years ago.

That's when my shoulder went kaput - my wrist syndrome started and I began shooting lightweight bullets and lighter weight powder loads.

No more magnum loads of 777, Blackhorn..... nuttin'.
Give me two pellets of White Hots please and 200gr bullet... then I'm happy......lol

Happy New Year

Happy to help.
This bullet design originated with Buffalo Bullet Co in 50-cal only around 25 years ago - in lead only. Then Cecil at prbullet came out with one almost identical - then Barnes tried it out in copper-clad.
I might still have some leaded ones, even after selling several boxes to a ML forums member around 15 years ago.

That's when my shoulder went kaput - my wrist syndrome started and I began shooting lightweight bullets and lighter weight powder loads.

No more magnum loads of 777, Blackhorn..... nuttin'.
Give me two pellets of White Hots please and 200gr bullet... then I'm happy......lol

Happy New Year
Happy New Year.
I really like the performance and low recoil of the 195 Barnes and thought for the price of the 175, why not buy some.

I also have two packets of the RedHots in 175 grain that I'll be testing in the next month in my Paramount/Woodman/ Brux 45. It's a pretty small hollowpoint opening compared to many other hollowpoints. I haven't checked yet to see if Ron Mclaughlin did a test with them.

I also have two packets of the RedHots in 175 grain that I'll be testing in the next month in my Paramount/Woodman/ Brux 45. It's a pretty small hollowpoint opening compared to many other hollowpoints. I haven't checked yet to see if Ron Mclaughlin did a test with them.
I looked but didn’t see a test done. The 195’s seemed small too but they opened up great.

The Barnes 40 cal 155gr TAC-XP was tested. I think it went 2 - 3 jugs, so did the Barnes 45ACP 185gr TAC-XP. I think it would perform similarly. I used BH209 for the 185gr when I had my Optima V2 50, but might T7 might be better, don't know. I know the above mentioned bullets are accurate with the "other" powder in my Scout conversion.

Last edited:

I've always had better luck with 45/50. I never could get the 40/50 combo to work for me.

Has anyone shot the 175gr Barnes 40cal in a 45cal muzzleloader? How did they perform on paper or on game? Thanks in advance.
I have killed plenty of deer with that bullet. It was an exclusive thing with Knight rifles from what I could find. Rather than send our customers to buy them from Knight, we started making them but added a knurl. I try not exceeding 100 yards as you need velocity to get expansion. When you hit a deer with them at 2600 or more fps, it works great.

Velocity n energy enough for a pass through on a 200 pound deer on the hoof. All my life i have been told 1,000 min. My experience for well over 600 deer is quite different. I have killed many of them with about 250 lb energy. I started at 12 years old with a .410 n slugs. killed them grave yard dead. To me its about accuracy n bullet placement more than anything else. I am not talking of long range !

Latest posts

Back