1858 reassembly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I took my new 1858 cylinder out to check / inspect and clean the gun. The cylinder slipped right out without so much as a hint of a drag. From the right side trying to get it back in the hand stuck out just enough to make re-inserting the cylinder a major chore. I tried everything to get past the little bump except standing on my head to do it then finally it slipped past the protrusion and it went back in, why I have no idea.

So once I got it back in I tried to do it again, this time not rotating the cylinder, just out and back in and nope it refused to get past the hand protrusion. This time I wriggled the hammer and cylinder a bit and I got it in but I still do not know why. The third time I pulled back on the hammer a bit and kept rotating the cylinder which depressed the hand just a tad into the slot on the breech face and the cylinder slipped in.

If these reproductions are true to the originals, I cant imagine some hombre that kept spare loaded cylinders having to go through this in a gunfight :)

I've read that the 1858 has this known issue (see link) and I wondered is there a fix? I noticed that the slot pictured in the link below (#5 reply) but that slot in the pic "appears" to be relieved a bit allowing the hand to slip in. Is this a fix because my slot is flush with the cylinder face. Also the link to Clint reloading his revolver is simply not possible with this 1858.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/continual-trouble-inserting-uberti-1858-cylinder.115731/

I’m far from an expert but on my 1858, the hammer at half cock allows the cylinder to slip in and out effortlessly.

Last edited:
As two other members stated. Rotate the cylinder when installing it. The hand is spring loaded and should push back with the cylinder ratchet. Polish the hand a little, it might have a burr or binding when pushed back. With the cylinder out, push the hand in with your finger. If it has a scratchy resistance that's your problem. It should have some resistance because of the spring. And feel for a burr with an upward motion of your finger.
Hope this helps.

I own two. One mfg 2012, one in 2023. I have found the following, when changing cylinders.I am trying to be precise and note every detail of this , because i know for me, that helps. I hold the pistol in my right hand pointing down at a 20/30 degree angle, pull down the rammer, and pull out the retaining cylinder rod. If you do not hold the pistol down slightly the rammer can fold back, go into the cylinder and keep you from removing the cylinder, but it will certainly help with your four letter vocabulary! I cock the hammer about 1/8 of an inch and the cylinder literally falls out the right side of the pistol into my left hand which I have obviously placed under the pistol for this purpose. I replace the cylinder the exact same way. I hold the pistol in my right hand pointing down slightly. I use my left hand to insert the cylinder from the right side, by reaching under the pistol and putting the cylinder into the frame window, while i pull the hammer ever so slightly at the same time gently pushing the cylinder into the frame with a slight rocking or rolling motion and it pops right in, close the cylinder retaining rod/pin and close the rammer. I practiced a few times and it is now a fairly smooth operation that won't win me any races but I can do it in 10-15 seconds or so without any trouble.:dance2:

Attachments

• New Pietta 1858 remington 2.JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back