Lets beat the Disc Original 209 conversion to death

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
First I have communicated with Swamp and will be going to Sportsmans Warehouse to see about making a return of the bolt body 602. I will then puchase the 601 and get this project moving forward. But for giggles and grins follow along.

While all this talk and exchange of information was going on about the Original Disc Conversion to a 209 primer I did some experimenting here at home. I have a Disc Elite with the SSK 209 conversion kit so pulled the breech plug and put it in my original disc. Well it seems the bolt is only a few degrees from closing. The primer is sitting on a "ledge" or stop to keep it from going down the nipple too far. Thus preventing the bolt from closing. If someone with the skills would deepen the primer pocket a few thousandths, I think this conversion can be made with this modification.

Now keep in mind the bolt is made to only rotate in the action and not be pulled back to allow the primer to be inserted into the pocket. (actually this could be modified as well with a drill and a dremel to include a slot to pull the bolt back) So that could be a draw back for some. But with a Knight quick release detent screw that bolt will come out easily to install a new primer. Not perfect but functional.

Anyone out there willing to deepen the primer pocket a few thousandths if I get the exact depth and send you the part????? Id like to give it a try.

IMG_2930.JPG

Take the required amount off the nose of the breech plug.
Edit: I should have read more carefully before posting, no I’m not willing to modify a breech plug.

Another solution HC. Thank you
Edit. My concern about the nose is if not done perfectly you may ruin your seal. Having said that how about a piece of emery cloth on a flat surface and move the plug in a circular manner and maybe turning it in you hand a few degrees every 10 or so circles.

Last edited:
After getting the 602 kit for 209 conversion I stated earlier I pulled the plug out of my Elite and it was within a few thousandths of fitting. So I could have saved myself a few hours of work and bought the Elite plug. Not wanting to waste the plug that came with the 602 kit I started working on it. Emery cloth with oil in nice little circles. Took about 3 hours but the bolt closes nicely with just a little crush. The 2 parts in the pic are the same part. One on the right from SSK and the one I worked on the left from the 602 kit.

Only thing left to do is shoot it to see if I still get a seal. Tomorrow Ill load it with 100 grains of Swiss black and see if it leaks.

Primer has plenty of punch.

IMG_2936.JPGIMG_2937.JPG

Success. I shot 80 grains by weight of T7 and a 300 grain bullet and 80 grains by volume of BH209 and a 385 grain bullet. No indications of primer leaks or leaks around the seal. I have a conversion. Frankly after taking off that much material I was skeptical. But I was careful to rotate the plug regularly and the oil on the emery cloth really helped to make the plug slide and not get caught or drag. Im happy.

Advice to anyone else is to buy the Elite plug from SSK because that only needs a few thousandths taken off. Less chance of messing up the seal. Lot less work too. :D

More than one way to make a conversion.

Success. I shot 80 grains by weight of T7 and a 300 grain bullet and 80 grains by volume of BH209 and a 385 grain bullet. No indications of primer leaks or leaks around the seal. I have a conversion. Frankly after taking off that much material I was skeptical. But I was careful to rotate the plug regularly and the oil on the emery cloth really helped to make the plug slide and not get caught or drag. Im happy.

Advice to anyone else is to buy the Elite plug from SSK because that only needs a few thousandths taken off. Less chance of messing up the seal. Lot less work too. :D

More than one way to make a conversion.
That is great to hear. I didn't realize the Elite plug was different than the Extreme plug. Any issues getting the primers in and out of the bolt?

A small issue getting the primers in but that's because of my fat, stubby digits. With some kind of a primer holder no sweat. After shooting just roll the gun on the side and primer falls out all by itself.

The part I modified was from a Mountaineer 209 Bare primer conversion kit. Product M900602. Sometime when I have more time Ill show the SSK Elite and modified Mountaineer plug side by side. There really is only a small difference. Like really small.

1 last say. I received an Elite breach plug from SSK today and inserted it into the Super Disk. With the Mountaineer bolt body 602 it did fall a few thousandths short of a crush. Thankfully Muzzy had send me some rubber rings a few years ago and one rubber ring makes for a very tight fit. Im good. More than one way to skin a cat.

OK Im done here. :D

Back