New peeker….

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Ma wanted to go to Pennys after we walked the mall this morning, so I cut her loose and walked over to Scheels. I’ve been keeping an eye open there for a Vortex Diamondback Spotting scope. They sell out of them as fast as they come in stock. Yesterday I saw they had three, so I stopped to check them out. There was one left when I got there so I grabbed it.

I actually had a couple others laid out for comparison so the sales dude got a cart, and we walked them over to the big window so we could dial in on distant things and after spending time with each scope I came back to the Diamondback. I'll give to old scope to the grandson so he can watch birds in his back yard. He has some cheap binocs so the old scope should be a treat for him.

I hate to admit it, but the old eyes just aren't what they used to be and while the old scope did a not bad job at the gun club, it had some distortion at times [really bright days with snow] that drove me nuts. With a little fresh white stuff here I took the scope out on it and took a peek and damn it is clear.... zero distortion. Supposed to be nice tomorrow so it might end up going to the range in the morning. At this time of year, I don't shoot over 100 yards but still like NOT having to walk thru snow all the time if the old scope didn't give me a clear picture and snow was its onus. I'll be a happy boy with this piece of glass.

It's going on a stand-up tripod and kept in the family room so I can check out distant birds. It'll be readily available to take to the driveway or patio to check things out in the parkland behind us too.

Scheels had much cheaper scopes on hand, but I didn't waste time looking at them. I wasn't, nor was Ma, happy with the price of this new Vortex but we both mellowed a bit after looking thru it outside. One of the other scopes I tried had a price tag about $100 more than this scope but did not have near the clarity this one has. It's like everything else now, we can't just assume a name assures quality. We need to see things, feel things, first- hand to be certain and is the primary reason I do little on-line shopping. I'm happy with my treat of today.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sweet. I don't know what brand I have but I know it was inexpensive. Some off the wall brand I got for the range. Its 20-60x. I have to say, I have it for about 15 years and its plenty clear. I can see .22 cal holes in the 200 yard targets. My buddy was spotting shots for me when I was sighting in at 400 and 500 yards without any problem. I'm sure for extremely long range it would be horrible but it works for me.

Ma wanted to go to Pennys after we walked the mall this morning, so I cut her loose and walked over to Scheels. I’ve been keeping an eye open there for a Vortex Diamondback Spotting scope. They sell out of them as fast as they come in stock. Yesterday I saw they had three, so I stopped to check them out. There was one left when I got there so I grabbed it.

I actually had a couple others laid out for comparison so the sales dude got a cart, and we walked them over to the big window so we could dial in on distant things and after spending time with each scope I came back to the Diamondback. I'll give to old scope to the grandson so he can watch birds in his back yard. He has some cheap binocs so the old scope should be a treat for him.

I hate to admit it, but the old eyes just aren't what they used to be and while the old scope did a not bad job at the gun club, it had some distortion at times [really bright days with snow] that drove me nuts. With a little fresh white stuff here I took the scope out on it and took a peek and damn it is clear.... zero distortion. Supposed to be nice tomorrow so it might end up going to the range in the morning. At this time of year, I don't shoot over 100 yards but still like NOT having to walk thru snow all the time if the old scope didn't give me a clear picture and snow was its onus. I'll be a happy boy with this piece of glass.

It's going on a stand-up tripod and kept in the family room so I can check out distant birds. It'll be readily available to take to the driveway or patio to check things out in the parkland behind us too.

Scheels had much cheaper scopes on hand, but I didn't waste time looking at them. I wasn't, nor was Ma, happy with the price of this new Vortex but we both mellowed a bit after looking thru it outside. One of the other scopes I tried had a price tag about $100 more than this scope but did not have near the clarity this one has. It's like everything else now, we can't just assume a name assures quality. We need to see things, feel things, first- hand to be certain and is the primary reason I do little on-line shopping. I'm happy with my treat of today.
I Have The Same one MrTom , Great Spotting scope , very clear ! I also have 4 Vortex rifle scopes that I use . Good optics very satisfied . Good luck with yours & good shooting !

Latest posts

Back