1st ??? ML buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaguy

Reaction score
Ive been hunting NW Illinois for lets see, lets just say a very long time. I was given a Knight Muzzleloader as a retirement gift from a guy who's now a TV personallity ( John Gallaspy on the VS channel). I played around with it for a couple years and even scoped it but when I got ready to hunt with it and several calls to Knight found out that to be effective I should change the breech plug and nipple to adapt to 209 primers which also meant going with discs. I was pretty satisfied with my slug gun a Browning light 12 with a slug barrel and had put a lot of venison in the freezer with it. I got the itch a couple years ago to use the ML and so started to practice with it. Last year I took a 60 yard shot at a decent buck and it ran into an overgrown Xmas tree field and at the same time another member of my party shot at another buck 1/4 mile away, my buck headed his way, his buck headed my way, one buck was found and I believe it was mine but this was his 1st buck and he was sky high so I gave in and he tagged it.
This year I again took the ML and opening AM @ 8:30 a nice 9 pointer came out at 80 yards walked paralell to my blind and I took my shot, the buck ran 50 yards into a draw and dropped where I tagged it. I also on this trip got a chance to see just what a 4X4 atv could do and was very pleased. Ive renewed my venison supply, my buddy also got a smaller buck this year so every ones happy. This was # 25 for me and all but 1 have been downed with 1 shot so Im stuck on muzzleloaders now and thinkin about a T/C Triumph so Im interested in any feedback on that gun.

Well a muzzleloader loaded properly is one of the most effective rifles you can use on game animals. Congratulations on the deer.

What model rifle do you shoot. What powder charge. And what projectile. I own a couple of Knight Rifles and all of them are good shooters. Since you said you converted it over, I suspect that it is a Bighorn or a Knight Wolverine.. maybe even a USA American.

I also agree that an ATV is a great addition to hunting. I have sure pulled a lot of deer out of the wood with an ATV. And it has got me all over the woods.

If you are retired a ATV is required hunting vehicle to get your heavy mid-west bucks out of the field.

Congratulations on your buck.

Chocdog

The ML I have is a T Bolt model and while I do like it, it is at times hard to recharge because inserting the primer, and then puttin the primers in the discs.

My Wolverine is a #11 ignition with a scope covering the breech. I found it easy to recap with a straight line capper. I find that almost as easy as loading/unloading a primer disc...

The Knight T-Bolts were always said to be real accurate rifles.

Latest posts

Back