1st time...........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I've actually been reloading cartridges since the early 70's. About the only cartridge reloading I do or have done in quite some time is for the 450 Bushmaster.

I sent a few 245gr Hornady Interlocks today, along with a few 275gr Accumax. As I was depriming them, I got my first stuck case ever. Yes the case was lubed LOL
The case head was weak and when I lowered the ram, it pulled right out of the shell holder. No problem. Removed the pin then just pushed it out.

I've said it many times before.................... It matters not how long you get away with something, and not if, but when :)

I just started reloading and already had my first stuck case. 223 brass stuck firm. Good thing those rcbs die's are made of some hard stuff. Had to drill out the case.

You are right about the, it's not if.... But when. Use that saying alot.

Another first today :(

Adjusting the seating depth (OAL). Put a round in the chamber, closed the bolt, opened the bolt and the bullet remained in the rifling and powder went everywhere. SMH.
Getting old.......

Last edited:
It's so much easier to figure out the distance to rifling with a Hornady OAL gauge and modified casing in your rifle's Caliber.
OAL would depend on the different bullets I use? The 275gr Accumax will have an OAL greater than the 245gr Interlock.
This is a straight wall Bushmaster 450.

OAL would depend on the different bullets I use? The 275gr Accumax will have an OAL greater than the 245gr Interlock.
This is a straight wall Bushmaster 450.
yes I know, but Hornady makes a modified case that works with their OAL gauge to measure bullet to rifling distance. For the Bushmaster 450. Have you used one before ?

We're in modern firearms......

Nope, I haven't used one before.

This? https://www.hornady.com/modified-cases#!/

STRAIGHT MODEL​

Item #C1000

A450B
450 Bushmaster
Yes, That is the tool. If you measure the bullet jump with this gauge & a modified casing you will be able to know your exact depth of your bullet seating. you will never have a jammed bullet again. How it works is you screw the modified casing (which Hornady has drilled out the primer pocket & threaded it to screw onto the end of the OAL gauge) you then insert a bullet into the modified casing which has the neck slightly enlarged so the bullet is able to slide. Then you remove the bolt from your rifle and insert the modified casing into the chamber of your rifle. While holding the modified casing, with your bullet inside the chamber you loosen the lock screw on side of the OAL gauge and tap the end of the rod inside of the OAL gauge until you feel the bullet touching the beginning of the rifling. Then you tighten the lock screw on OAL gauge, to hold the measured adjustment. Then insert a cleaning rod into the muzzle of the rifle so you can help push the bullet free of the rifling. This way it will stay in the casing when you remove it from the chamber. Then you take your caliper and measure the OAL of your cartridge (the OAL gauge has a notch at the base of the casing so you can insert the end of your caliper) when you get the measurement write it down so you can deduct the measure of bullet jump that you desire. No more jammed bullets in the rifling & a bullet that chambers nicely without jamming and also an accurate bullet when you get the proper powder measurement along with the proper primer. Hope this will help you a lot better, but you need to purchase the OAL gauge & modified casing first. Midway USA has them both in stock.

Good information.

I just sent a couple of the ones I just loaded. The 245gr Hornady Interlock. I purchased 100 of them just to try and I believe they'll shoot well. I have no clue how they might work on game. Its pretty close to dialed in, and sooner or later I'll try them at distance.

CCI 450 magnum primers
40grs Lil'Gun

Forgot to mention................ front bipod NO REAR REST. Shot off the shoulder with glove.

Attachments

• 3-31-24 245gr Interlock.jpg
    3-31-24 245gr Interlock.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good information.

I just sent a couple of the ones I just loaded. The 245gr Hornady Interlock. I purchased 100 of them just to try and I believe they'll shoot well. I have no clue how they might work on game. Its pretty close to dialed in, and sooner or later I'll try them at distance.

CCI 450 magnum primers
40grs Lil'Gun
That looks pretty dam good ! How did you find the OAL for that bullet ?

LOL.......... even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.......

The old fashioned way. ;) Just kept seating the bullet to where the bolt would close, then the slightest seating movement more.
I do a lot of center fire reloading . I have 7 different Calibers I load for. I purchased the OAL gauge because I had a bullet get stuck in the rifling just like you did. I looked up the loading specs for your 450 Bushmaster. Hornady specs for the 245gr Interlock bullet is 2.225. but looks like you found what your looking for all by yourself. Very good ! :lewis:

Back