209 -> Smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

Reaction score
If a fellow was running Blackhorn 209 and wanted to switch to smokeless powder, is there a conversion chart by powder type or something like that available?

Rifle (the first one) would be a CVA Accura MR-X.

I shoot Powerbelts but I'm guessing would want to switch to bullets that can handle higher velocities if using smokeless...

I do know that, that's what I'm contemplating. :)

A muzzleloader without the mess would be awesome... 209 is the cleanest of the "black" powders but still I can only get 12-15 rounds at the range before cleaning is necessary..

Never heard of anyone replacing the barrel on an MRX but I’m guessing it’s possible.

To answer your question then, I dont know of any conversion charts comparing BH209 to smokeless.

Yes, you’ll want different bullets for sml velocities unless you use very small charges. Don’t get us started on Powerbelts…🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

So this world is just all figure-it-out-yourself? Ok then.

I don't see any more liability in that kind of chart than in any other loading/reloading info. Include a disclaimer: Use at your own risk. With any kind of loading/reloading the user can make an error that causes an accident. It is possible to calculate pressures with powder/bullet combos so there's really no more risk here than any other type of loading data...

So this world is just all figure-it-out-yourself? Ok then.

I don't see any more liability in that kind of chart than in any other loading/reloading info. Include a disclaimer: Use at your own risk. With any kind of loading/reloading the user can make an error that causes an accident. It is possible to calculate pressures with powder/bullet combos so there's really no more risk here than any other type of loading data...
It not the liability that you can see, tho. Its the liability that a lawyer can prove.

I think the mr-x has an action that is made of softer metal than the steel needed for smokeless applications.

have you considered selling the mrx plus adding the cost of getting and adding a smokeless barrel to it and maybe a little more and getting a used smokeless here in the classified or maybe a new 45 patriot from woodman ?

have you considered selling the mrx plus adding the cost of getting and adding a smokeless barrel to it and maybe a little more and getting a used smokeless here in the classified or maybe a new 45 patriot from woodman ?
That was my first thought - sell the MRX and get something easy to convert to smokeless - Encore, Omega, Rem 700, Savage, CVA Scout .45-70, etc. I suspect you’d have a tough time finding someone willing/able to convert the MRX. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back