Thinking of getting into smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eekjellander

Reaction score
I am looking ahead and find I have a lot more smokeless powder than BP . I wonder if my 45/70 Handi rifle would work or should I look for a CVA Scout ? My handi has the 45/70 barrel bought new and a 20ga barrel fitted too ,and shoots great but have not got it out of this safe this year everything I'm shooting uses BP even the shot guns and when I look at the 4 and 8LB jugs along with 1 LBers I think I should get something that eats smokeless as there's no interest in the family and my garden doesn't need that much fertilizer . The Handi is the last to go for hunting so anyone have thoughts on suitability for conversion ? Go smokeless and I got powder for a LONG LONG time/Ed

I am looking ahead and find I have a lot more smokeless powder than BP . I wonder if my 45/70 Handi rifle would work or should I look for a CVA Scout ? My handi has the 45/70 barrel bought new and a 20ga barrel fitted too ,and shoots great but have not got it out of this safe this year everything I'm shooting uses BP even the shot guns and when I look at the 4 and 8LB jugs along with 1 LBers I think I should get something that eats smokeless as there's no interest in the family and my garden doesn't need that much fertilizer . The Handi is the last to go for hunting so anyone have thoughts on suitability for conversion ? Go smokeless and I got powder for a LONG LONG time/Ed
It's been done with the handi-rifles before. Don't see why it couldn't be done again.
Go for it!

I have a smokeless Encore. I bought mine years back when they were a little more affordable. If I were starting from scratch today, I would reach for the Scout conversion.
I have a 45-70 Scout that is not converted. It is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot.

Hankins has done the handi-rifles before.

I bought a scout in 45-70 for my conversion, but if I already had an extra single 45-70, I probobly would've used that. I'm cheap.

Whichever way you go, I'm certain you'll be happy. I can't wait to have mine done.

Find you a Remington short action find a friend to pull the barrel for you get a barrel nut brux from Arrowhead or Hankins,, and do the H&R or another lighter weight there's no way you're just going to be able to have one smokeless gun once you start anyway we'll have a walking hunting rifle with the H&R and you can do a lot of Target work with the barrel nut Remington of course I think you would probably need a third and a fourth rifle from Woodman all right I think 5 will help you some of that smokeless powder up.

Find you a Remington short action find a friend to pull the barrel for you get a barrel nut brux from Arrowhead or Hankins,, and do the H&R or another lighter weight there's no way you're just going to be able to have one smokeless gun once you start anyway we'll have a walking hunting rifle with the H&R and you can do a lot of Target work with the barrel nut Remington of course I think you would probably need a third and a fourth rifle from Woodman all right I think 5 will help you some of that smokeless powder up.
This ain’t no lie! Im working on getting numbers 3 and 4. With maybe #5 hiding around here someplace.

Depends on what you want to do. Short or long range? Fast or slow powders? Heavy or light bullets? HIS, DI, or 209? Do your research!!!! (MML, Hank's, Doug's message boards, etc)
I think, Smokepolehall has a Handi conversion.

Last edited:
Back