22LR accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
OK, Ive been shooting different ammo with my CZ457 and find at this point its not very fussy. Shoots most things well. Tried some cheap Aguila the other day and not bad at all. Heres the thing, Im sure that some of the error in the shooting is being done by the guy in the mirror. So I would like to build a sled or mechanical firing devise to take me out of the picture. Anyone ever build or have plans to build one.
If so please share your plans, thoughts, or design ideas.

Im thinking that, for a low recoiling .22lr, a Lead Sled ought to be plenty of stability. Strap the barrel down snug with velcro or rubber tubing. I do that with my .17hmr RPRR when i really want to close up groups, although it does have a shroud so im not actually contacting the barrel. Doesnt even need sand bags.

I guess I can see where you're headed with this, but I'm a bit different and think it's important to me over-all to stay in touch with the trigger even with the lowly .22lr. Once I've determined which brands and loads shoot the best for me I shoot those almost exclusively. If a day's shooting yields a bad group or two, knowing the ammunition is out of the equation helps to put the problem squarely where it belongs..... on me. I don't think I can improve or correct an issue if I am not on the trigger myself.

Friend with good solid rests front and back and if your CZ has a decent trigger you'll be fine. Just stay consistent with your cherk pressure and trigger squeeze. A high power scope with parallax adjustment is a good idea. I have an 8-32x on my 22LR
No need to get elaborate.
But if you're bent on building something just to check ammo I'm sure you can make something solid with a few pieces of 2x4s and clamps to secure it to the bench.

OK, Ive been shooting different ammo with my CZ457 and find at this point its not very fussy. Shoots most things well. Tried some cheap Aguila the other day and not bad at all. Heres the thing, Im sure that some of the error in the shooting is being done by the guy in the mirror. So I would like to build a sled or mechanical firing devise to take me out of the picture. Anyone ever build or have plans to build one.
I have a CZ 457 American combo...22lr and 17HMR. The trigger is decent but not great IMO. I replaced it with a 1 lb pull Timney trigger and that was a major improvement. I have a Sinclair front machine rest I've had for over 30 years and it continues to serve me well. It's a heavy beast...probably 30 lbs and is rock solid. A shot filled rabbit eared rear bag seals the deal. I'm not a fan of the "lead sled" type of rests as a general rule. They are very hard on heavy recoiling rifle stocks. All that kinetic energy has to go somewhere right? But for a 22 that's pretty much a mute point. I just prefer to wrap myself around the rifle. It has always provided with consistent accuracy. Repeatability is the name of the game.

It is my experience that only Remington ammunition, the bucket o crap variety, causes problems in my CZ 452. It shoots as well as can be expected but it does not consistently eject. The same ammunition caused the same problem in my Mossberg 142. Neither gun has ever had an ejection issue with any other ammunition. Both guns immediately stopped having problems when I switched ammunition.
Having said that, I am not sure what you are "testing"? If you are concerned about accuracy and repeatability, the CZ's inherent accuracy will not overcome the tendency of some ammunition to shoot without adequate consistency. Those bucket o crap Rem rounds (if they consistently) ejected were a very poor target load. If you shot a few hundred rounds, you could guarantee that at least some number of them would stray from the point of aim. This behavior would rule them out for any competitive use. You will probably find that to be true of most of the run of the mill ammunition that is not match grade. The gun cannot overcome sloppy manufacturing.
I exclusively use Wolf Match Extra for target (50 feet and 100 yard). I also use it for hunting. I find that it is very consistent. It also seems to be very predictable. I have had two "no fires" in the last 3,000 plus rounds. Both of these fired when I rotated them and re-shot them. The primer was apparently not consistently coating the shell.
SK, Lapua, Eley, Wolf....these are generally accepted and shoot well in the CZ. My only complaint about the Wolf is the amount of wax I find on some of the rounds.
For an alternative and bang for the buck that CZ's like, try Federal Automatch.

With respect to CZ triggers...they are adjustable and can be adjusted to an acceptable hunting pull. To reach a target ready trigger you will either need to swap to Timney or do a trigger job on your own. I have my 452 set to a bit under one pound using the factory trigger. I did not do any filing, stoning or machining to achive that. A Timney will not fit this model stock without cutting wood....

SK, Lapua, Eley, Wolf....these are generally accepted and shoot well in the CZ.

For the longest time Wolf was rebrabded Sk/Lapua product. About 10 years ago Ely took over the contract. RWS produces the Norma branded offerings

As far as ammo choice goes, anything subsonic -CCI SV or any of the subsonic hollow point offerings will likely be decent enough and push MOA other than WC/QA induced fliers

If you want to be at or under MOA consistently then the step up to match ammo - Sk, Ely, Wolf, Norma, RWS, Lapua - will basically eliminate the QC/QA issues. If the lower end offerings shoot good for you (SK Standard, Ely Club) then upping the grade and cost will shave a hair or two off groups. If you have deep pockets and want to play with Ely Black, Lapua CenterX etc then send your rifle in for lot testing - doesnt cost much in relation to a case of ammo and at that level it can make a difference ...

Here's a basic design idea to get you started:

(1) Start with a sturdy, flat base. This could be a piece of plywood or metal sheeting, large enough to comfortably support your rifle and the rest of the sled.

(2) Attach a gun rest or shooting bag to the base, where you'll place the stock of your rifle.

(3) For the trigger mechanism, you can use a solenoid, which is an electromagnet that can pull a trigger when activated. You'll need a power source and a switch for this.

(4) Mount the solenoid so that the plunger can reach and pull the trigger when activated. Make sure it's securely attached to the base.

(5) Test the mechanism with an unloaded rifle first to ensure everything is working properly. Once you're satisfied, you can start testing with live ammo.

Of course, always follow proper safety precautions when building and using a device like this.

As far as I know the Eley Olympic competition 22RF ammunition is the most accurate. But it isn’t cheap and can be hard to get. Eley Tenex or the Match ammo
https://www.eleyammunition.com/eley-match-22lr/

Using something for a remote trigger pull device leads me to think radio control. A servo, receiver and receiver battery using a radio controller. It what they use for RC cars or boats or RC aircraft. If you are technical you could program a Arduino microprocessor (or Rasberry PI) to control a servo too. They have programs already available you can use thus you don’t have to learn a programming language per se. The servo arm rotates pushing on the trigger. Maybe a solenoid would work too. But you have to put together an electronic driver for it though.

Last edited:
I have a spare lead sled that's yours if you'd like it. It's a gen1 model and doesn't have front bridge lateral adjustability

Appreciate it Hausser1. Ill probably use a sheet of ply and some 2x or 4x4s. I have a tractor bucket I may attach it to. I love the servo idea. My son can help me with that with all his airplane models he has.

I have CCI standard, Eley sub hollow, SK pistol, SK rifle to start with.

When I get my shooting platform made here is a list of the ammo Ive accumulated for testing. By the Way I did buy a Athion Neos 4-12 scope for my CZ 457.

Federal Auto Match
Federal Champion
American Eagle HV solid
CCI CB Long
CCI Short
CCI Standard
CCI Mini Mag HP
CCI Mini Mag round nose
CCI Pistol Match
Remington Golden Bullet
PMC Sidewinder
Armscore 36 grain HP
Norma Tac 22
Aguila Standard Vel
Aguila Interceptor
Aguila Super Exra Sub Hollow
Eley Tenex
Eley High Vel HP
Eley Sb Hollow
SK Pistol Match
SK Rifle Match

Some of these I have shot already but not with the shooting platform.

25 AND 50 yds. I did this same type of testing with my Remington. Be patient! Keep good records. A lotta years ago Layne Simpson did a similar test and reported it in Shooting Times magazine. IIRC his results showed that bullets at 1100 fps were the most accurate. He used a few different rifles. The only one I remember was a Volquartsen/Ruger 10/22 that was incredibly accurate.

Back