230 grain Sure Fire Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
The other day at Wal Mart I saw some Thompson Center .50 caliber 230 grain HP Sure Fire Sabots. I remembered a post about some Spit Fire Sabots from Thompson Center but couldn't remember much else. So I bought them just to see how they would shoot. I thought maybe this was the sabot in question. After I reviewed the prior post I realize they were not, but when you got em, shoot em.

Well I had a very pleasant surprise when I shot them. I loaded them in my Thompson Center .50 caliber Flintlock Hawkins and from the 50 yard line held a 3" group with the open sights. I realize 3" is not the greatest, but if it was not for one flyer they would have been around a 2" group. With open sights out of a 1:48 twist flintlock I was more then pleased.

I was shooting them with 80 grains of Goex 3f and was thinking they might make an excellent deer hunting load. They are all copper plated hollow point and I am guessing would get some good expansion when they hit.

I then got out my new inline rifle and let it have a chance at them. Well I got a better surprise shooting them out of my Knight Disc. I was loading 100 grains of Goex 3f and they shot a very respectable group just over 2" at 50 yards. These are an interesting sabot. I have never seen them before. Anyone else have any experience with them?

Back