300 gr barnes original with something other then smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a couple of friends here at work who still have not switched to smokeless. They shoot Knight and T/C inlines mostly newer models. I showed them the ballistics and results of my testing with the 300 barnes originals and smokeless. So of course they want the relatively flat trajectory too. So here is the question, Is there any way to shoot the 300 gr barnes original to 2350 fps SAFELY with BP,pyrodex, or triple 7?
If so what charge would get you there?
Thanks Rifleman

3 pyro pellets is about the hardest I would want to push it. It still wont shoot near that velocity. iisabigone

Re: 300 gr barnes original with something other then smokele

Rifleman said:
So here is the question, Is there any way to shoot the 300 gr barnes original to 2350 fps SAFELY with BP,pyrodex, or triple 7?
If so what charge would get you there?
Thanks Rifleman

No. The T/C limit for Triple 7 is 100 gr. loose powder, but 150 gr. pellets is okay.

You won't see 2350 fps accurately with a .458 Barnes in a Knight or T/C, so a Savage has its benefits as opposed to those two I suppose.

The .458 / .52 MMP proprietary Knight sabot in the Knight .52 Extreme and 150 grains loose T7 might get you as close as anything; it cracks 1900 fps with a 375 gr. bullet. That load talks to you.

Why would I need 2350 FPS. 120 grains of 777 FFF loose or 3 Pellets will go to around 1900. At 200 to even 250 yards I am still going to have enough kinetic energy to cleanly take a deer.

encoreguy said:
Why would I need 2350 FPS. 120 grains of 777 FFF loose or 3 Pellets will go to around 1900.

:D

"Need" is not the issue-- you might want a faster load with no swabbing with less recoil and less cost per shot, though.

Most of us don't absolutely "need" a lot of things we enjoy.

When it comes to 300 grainers kinetic energy is rarely the issue, at 2350 this is still packin something like 988 fpe. Also if 250 yds is your limit well then you dont need 2350 fps with this bullet. However if you want to zero your rifle 3 in high at 100, be dead on at 200, and use the bottom post of your duplex as your 300 yd aiming point, then my good friends you need 2350 with this bullet 8)
If your goal is to shoot to 400 yds you might need a little more steam. However you could put a stoney point elevation knob or have some sort of a target turret on your high quality rifle scope of choice like mine. :D

Rifleman said:
When it comes to 300 grainers kinetic energy is rarely the issue,

I don't believe it ever is with .45 cal. 300 gr. spitzers. :shock:

Back