.40 cast Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an Under-Hammer with 2 barrels & both are . 40. One is a 1:48 & the other is 1:24. Has anyone have experience with shooting cast bullets from 140 gr up to 250 gr. Accuracy you got ? Loads of what powder ?

I have an Under-Hammer with 2 barrels & both are . 40. One is a 1:48 & the other is 1:24. Has anyone have experience with shooting cast bullets from 140 gr up to 250 gr. Accuracy you got ? Loads of what powder ?
My .40 sidelock was a 1:37 twist, so my loads, even though I shot everything between 140g-200g out of it will not be the same.
I’ve done the same thing in my Accura 1:22 in sabots, it’s not going to be the same.

I have .40’s in 1:16 and 1:14 I shoot bullets from 280 to 400 grains. There are some excellent bullet designs in the 240 to 300 grain range that would probably work in your rifle. Accurate Molds can cut a paper patch OR grease grooved mold for you. You should also look at Lyman or Ideal molds for .40 caliber Winchester or Marlin blackpowder cartridges.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/Cast_...ld_Descriptions.html#400_403_406_38-40_40_cal

Almost every place has a back log on bullet orders. Those that do have some it's 500 to a box. My thinking is if it doesn't group i have wasted alot of funds just to try the style & weight

Almost every place has a back log on bullet orders. Those that do have some it's 500 to a box. My thinking is if it doesn't group i have wasted alot of funds just to try the style & weight
PM me with your address and will send a care package , give me bore dimensions and will send you some 40/45/50 if needed do you have any Harvester sabots ?

Look up Montana Bullet Works. Under the shop option select big bore, scroll to page 3. Many options for 40 cal size. I have used them when I was shooting a 40-65 BPCR. They have options for size and bullet lube (BP or smkles). Don't have to order 500 of them either.

Look up Montana Bullet Works. Under the shop option select big bore, scroll to page 3. Many options for 40 cal size. I have used them when I was shooting a 40-65 BPCR. They have options for size and bullet lube (BP or smkles). Don't have to order 500 of them either.
I went there & they said 17 weeks wait. I am not waiting 17 weeks for no bullet making Company. They need to go to work or stop one or the other.

On a hunch, I went out to my lead stash and I found 14 left overs from my 40-65 days. They are from Montana Bullet. Specs- .410 diameter lubed with BP lube weight 361 grns. The lead is probably 20-1 lead tin mix so pretty hard for ML but if you have a size die so they are the right diameter they will shoot great in your fast twis 40 barrel. It will at least let you test fire. They're yours for the cost of a flat rate USPS box.

Back