4227 and 200 gr SW's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
When I bought my 10ML II the only recommended powder available locally was 4227. I bought some, got some 250 XTP?s and went to the range to sight in. The groups I got were better than my inline but not what I had expected from the Savage I was satisfied until I saw what a friends Savage could do right out of the box. He was using 4759. Got some and got my hands on some 250 SST?s and was thrilled with the results.
Now, I don?t like to throw things away so still have 2/3 of a can of 4227. I have no other use for it. I have a couple of choices. One to destroy it and the other is to shoot it. I figure it will be more fun shooting it. I don?t want to use the SST?s or the XTP?s so for fun I went out and bought some 200 gr SW?s some 40/50 blue sabots and plan to shoot it. This is not an experiment to find a better load. It?s only plinking for the sake of plinking. Don?t plan to learn anything. I hope I hit the target. It will just be an afternoon at the range shooting.
Well, I?ve been waiting a long time and it appears that I?ll have some free time next week. I?ll let you know how it went. If I get discouraged by the results I?ll take along my 22-250 so I can brag about how it shoots.

RAF said:
for fun I went out and bought some 200 gr SW?s some 40/50 blue sabots and plan to shoot it.

The 4227 will NOT ignite with anything much lighter than 250gr.

With the 40/50 & 200 gr. you better carry your tools with you, your going to need them.

Always carry my tools :D . I've been told that a tight fit is required to aid ignition. I tried to put one down the other day and it's going to be tight. Some time ago someone suggested sub bases would help. Have some but would rather not use them if I don't have to. When I first bought this powder, I never had an ignition problem in the 25 odd shots I fired before I switched and if I remember correctly, the bullets were a tight fit. We'll see how it goes.

My experiment with 200 grain SW?s and 4227 can be summed up with 2 words. ?A BUST?
Went to the range at about 12:30 today. Weather was 70 degrees F and sunny. Winds were light. Got set up and loaded my first bullet. I went down tight. First shot was 4? high and 4? to the right. Things looked promising. Second bullet went down considerably easier and sure enough a miss fire. Tried 2 more times. Nothing. Brought the tools out and took the rifle apart. Took a while to clean all the powder out of the breech and threads for the breech plug. While I had it apart change the vent liner to a 3 holer. Put every thing back together, a loaded another shot. Another miss fire but out of my left eye caught a glimpse of something copper coloured falling into the grass about 20 feet in front of me. Checked barrel with the rod and nothing down there. Turned the rifle up and a small amount of powder came out. Gave the barrel a dry swab and loaded again. This time the rifle fired and POI was close to the first shot. One more try and no BOOM but something kicked up dust about 40 yds down range. By this time I?d had enough and put the rifle away. Looks like I?ll have to dispose of the rest of my powder. I?ll give the bullets to a friend who shoots a 50 Gonic. He might be able to use them.
The day wasn?t a total loss though. Brought out my 22-250 and shot about a dozen shots at paper. It still groups well. Shooting a paper was now boring so picked on some gopher size rocks on the side of the hill at 200 yds. Turned them into pea sized pebbles. :D 8)

Back