>.45 cal & Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pros n Cons from y'all as you post on this Thread topic. Myself for the the hunting i do the .45 n .40 are the cats meow for me n you can't beat'em with a stick. Prb's be fine if that rings your Bell. Sometimes but not often i like to reach out just a bit n clobber the snot out of a tick toter or a porker. Why ? Because i can. .45 i start with 180 gr to 350 gr, i like me some .40 cal also 175 gr up to 300 gr. Honestly i have 2 .50's n 1 .54, why because i could not find a .45 in my area other than having to have one shipped from the West coast. So i settled on one to use at the time

Ummm, no one shoots n hunts with a .45 cal caplock or rock sparker. I must be out of touch with reality. I really though many would be using them. Seems most use the Inlines for hunting. Well i spect that is fine, i have couple of those myself.

I harvested several deer with a 45 caliber Omega using either sabots or full bore bullets but never harvested any with round balls . So to answer your question I haven't hunted with a 45 caliber side lock but may at some point.

Ummm, no one shoots n hunts with a .45 cal caplock or rock sparker. I must be out of touch with reality. I really though many would be using them. Seems most use the Inlines for hunting. Well i spect that is fine, i have couple of those myself.
I do all the time with my TC Renegade 45 LRH bbl.

Don't doubt that a bit Ed those GM LRH barrels are very accurate. I have a stainless 45 LRH and a 1-20 twist barrel that fit the hawken stocks but have never hunted with them.

I have been playing with a rebuilt TC white mountain carbine. I got on GB as a demil from gun busters NE. they had cut off 3" of barrel from the breech end but saved the breech plug. I faced the breech area on the lathe and tapped it 11-16x 20 tpi. I must have been holding my mouth right because the BP threaded in and torqued aligning with the sights the first time. I am shooting the 340 I bullet and 330 Goulds out of it. I am getting 1" to 1.5" groups at 50 yds. with open sights using 80 gr of T7 3F. No chance last year for a deer with it, still trying. Should have enough power with a 18" barrel.

When I was looking, I was looking for a .50 just for projectile availability and variety. Ended up with a .54 at stupid cheap price.

One thing to remember is that some states require a minimum caliber - used to be .45 here in Florida, is now .36 IIRC. Colorado is .50 with Maxi-types and .54 with ball (based on weight and minimum diameter IIRC)

Think the ideal is a .32 or .36 paired with a .54 or .50

Nice Speed Goat. I see open sights on bbl. plus the peep on the action. You swap out barrel's
s
White dot and peep work out just fine for me. I have 5 UHs and this one has since been converted to the switch bbl concept by Pecatonica.. 5 UHs and 7 bbls from 36-54cal various weights and lengths. We haven't had mail i 7 days !! due to hiway closures from snow and blowing snow. Sucks because I waiting on what I believe to be a Ken Besien UH false muzzle rifle. He was out of Warsaw NY and a well respectd BP gunsmith who died in 2014 and this might be from his estate somehow. Owner I bought it from said t came from an estate sale and he had a farm 35 mi north of Friendship. His is the only action that pictures the same as the very few I've found online. Maybe a copy ? Dunno but I love mystery's.

Last edited:
White dot and peep work out just fine for me. I have 5 UHs and this one has since been converted to the switch bbl concept by Pecatonica.. 5 UHs and 7 bbls from 36-54cal various weights and lengths. We haven't had mail i 7 days !! due to hiway closures from snow and blowing snow. Sucks because I waiting on what I believe to be a Ken Besien UH false muzzle rifle. He was out of Warsaw NY and a well respectd BP gunsmith who died in 2014 and this might be from his estate somehow. Owner I bought it from said t came from an estate sale and he had a farm 35 mi north of Friendship. His is the only action that pictures the same as the very few I've found online. Maybe a copy ? Dunno but I love mystery's.
Well now the mail needs to come on through for sure. I have been kicking that idea around, about couple barrels to swap out

I am going to ignorant be on Mr. Ben, i have never heard of him. Just goes to show i have not looked n researched as you have. I will have to ck my 1:24 .40 cal bbl. to see if it will shoot a prb when i get it together. I was making this one a deer killer by using conicals in the 150-250 gr area. It came upon my slow to think n ponder things. I could use a tree rat rifle, the smallest i have is a .45 at this time

That 40 cal 1-24 twist will be a pretty sweet conical shooter. I was running some numbers on a twist calculator and it looks like a bullet .90 inches in length would be just about perfect for the twist. Accurate Molds could make you a custom mold. Looks like that length would put the weight in the 275-280 grn range. Look out whitetail deer! If you can get a round ball to shoot you would have a tree rat getter as a bonus. The conical would be fun to shoot ground hogs with 😉

I pretty much love my 45 in-lines …200-240gr 40 cal bullets in crushribs. Only thing I killed so far is this …8E19535D-27B8-4C2D-8798-FB9DBA39CD33.jpeg

so I know their capable flat shooting and accurate…but when it comes to roundballs and sidelocks, I’m definitely a 54cal 1:72 twist shooter…deadly on mule deer out to 150yds.

I pretty much love my 45 in-lines …200-240gr 40 cal bullets in crushribs. Only thing I killed so far is this …View attachment 31825

so I know their capable flat shooting and accurate…but when it comes to roundballs and sidelocks, I’m definitely a 54cal 1:72 twist shooter…deadly on mule deer out to 150yds.
Well that is a good one to start with, congrats

I pretty much love my 45 in-lines …200-240gr 40 cal bullets in crushribs. Only thing I killed so far is this …View attachment 31825

Awesome elk!! i miss hunting thos critters!!

Back