.45 Knight Moutaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Knight Moutaineer out today to sight in the new scope and to shoot the 285 gr Powerbelt ELR bullets. It only took 2 shots to get it close at 25 yards after bore sighting it then moved the target out to 100 yards. A couple shots more and I had it where I wanted it after some scope adjustments. Next was to shoot a group.
Well I'm really disappointed with the ELRs 3 shots into a 3" group! I had some 200 gr Lehigh Bloodlines in the shooting box so I decided to see how they would do. I only had 5 more preweighed charges so I fired 2 and hit just left of the bull. Adjusted the scope and fired 2 more. Those are just above the bull. Last shot I turned the scope down just a bit too far and hit just under the bull.
I really want to shoot those ELRs but I'm going to have to do some load tweaking to shrink that group if I want to shoot any distance.

BTW the Viridian Lyxa scope it really nice and clear.Knight and ELR.jpg

Last edited:
I really wish SSK would put the new brass .458x260CF-HP on the web site. The would be a great hunting bullet even though they need to be resized to 451.

I posted a while back on my results on my mountaineer 45 1:20 twist shooting the 45 powerbelt ELR and I have found that anything below 110 gr BH209 will not shoot.
I tried 90,100,110,120 and 110 was the ticket in my rifle.
100 gr charge they where 3 to 4”.

I'm not a fan of powerbelts. I don't think they are very consistant in their manufacturing process with the copper plating. JMO

Latest posts

Back