.45 long range bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a long range bullet that will be stabilized in my 1:20 twist Moutaineer. Any suggestions?
I'm considering either the .402 Startip from Fury and a Harvester blue CR sabot or the .452".

Last edited:
Parker 270 emax shot one hole group in my mountaineer. 327 match hunter shot good also but it has a thicker jacket so i would shoot max powder charge to make sure you got good expansion if you went with the 327 . I used the 270 emax and got a speed goat at 315 yards. He only went 40 yds before falling over and with 120 gr BH the drop is only aroundv13-14 moa for the 270 emax

I'd be trying the 300gr Arrowhead XLD, bullet to bore. They are extremely accurate and should remain stabilized until it drops below the speed of sound.
Don't get me wrong here, because I like and do shoot Fury bullets but, they haven't proven to be a LONG RANGE bullet.

I'm looking for a long range bullet that will be stabilized in my 1:20 twist Moutaineer. Any suggestions?
I'm considering either the .402 Startip from Fury and a Harvester blue CR sabot or the .452".
What distance do you intend to shoot and at what? Targets? Plinking? Hunting? X

I'd be trying the 300gr Arrowhead XLD, bullet to bore. They are extremely accurate and should remain stabilized until it drops below the speed of sound.
Don't get me wrong here, because I like and do shoot Fury bullets but, they haven't proven to be a LONG RANGE bullet.
Thanks. I was looking at them but at 2.50 a bullet its hard to swallow. No doubt they're worth it but not sure my budget will allow it. I guess I could miss a few meals if I have to!

The PR dead center 260 gr ( 40/45) shot good in my 1:20 it is much cheaper than a sabotless bullet but the drop will be greater. I think I had 24 or 25 moa at 500. Biggest thing there is it is lightweight enough that you might not knock a ram down even if you hit it 😁

You might think about Hornady's new ELD-X 340 gr. bullet but they are kind of pricey too. Cast bullets are another option for you to consider and would be much cheaper. X
Cast yes. The belted bullets are another story. I believe you'll be seeing fewer so called, "long range bullets" with skirts in the future.

You might think about Hornady's new ELD-X 340 gr. bullet but they are kind of pricey too. Cast bullets are another option for you to consider and would be much cheaper. X

Cast yes. The belted bullets are another story. I believe you'll be seeing fewer so called, "long range bullets" with skirts in the future.
The ELD-X 340 gr Bore Driver is a .50 caliber bullet. I need a .45 cal.
And Encore I think you're correct. I may just try to run some cast bullets downrange as I have several molds. However last night I pulled out some Hornady SSTs and and Barnes TEZs 300 gr and 290 gr respectively and ran them through my adjustable sizer a couple times to get them where they just engage the rifling and go down with a steady but firm push on the ramrod.
Not sure if I want to use something under them like a felt wad or even cut the petals off a sabot and use it like a base. I'm going to push them with 80 and 100 gr volume T7.
I just packed the 3 packages of Powerbelt ELRs up and they're going back to Midway for refund.

I’m not sure the Barnes 290-300s or SSTs would be ideal for 500 yard shooting…. Will be really curious to hear your results.

IMO, you should be considering “target” bullets.

I’m not sure the Barnes 290-300s or SSTs would be ideal for 500 yard shooting…. Will be really curious to hear your results.

IMO, you should be considering “target” bullets.
Well Diablo if I was shooting competitively I would consider the so called "target" bullets. But as this is just going to be for fun and I'd just like the satisfaction of hearing the ding when you hit a steel plate way out yonder. If I can get a bullet to shoot well without emptying out my wallet I'd be happy.
Dang - the more I look at these stabilization calculators the better my cast bullets look! I'm going to have to give them a try. I have them in the 340+ weights.

Last edited:
The 300gr SST will make 500yds, at least it did in the BP Xpress I was shooting. It's BC though is about like a rock.
You start shooting 500yds and it'll get you hooked on long range :)

You start shooting 500yds and it'll get you hooked on long range :)
I know. I started with my CFs this summer - just for fun and its a blast. At 600 yards with a breeze blowing away you can barely hear the ding of the steel with the ear plugs in. I think it will be even more satisfying with the muzzleloader.

quality bullets are awash these days however precision long rand bullets are a different animal all together
higher manufacturing costs, better designs, expect to pay more

I shoot the Barnes 195gr in the blue harvester crush rib sabot with 110gr 777 FFF. I was keeping awesome groups out to 350 yards with my knight disc rifle. Works great for me.

Looks like the cast bullet suggestion might be a winner. I shot 2 groups with 100 gr of T7 at 100 yards and both groups were about 3/4". The bullet is an Accurate 44-390P paper patched and sized to .451". Cast from pure lead these come in right at 400 gr with the paper patch. See my thread with the targets.

Latest posts

Back