450 bushmaster reloading issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omidv

Reaction score
I recently reloaded some bullets for my 450 bushmaster. The issue I’m having is that the cases don’t seem to be sizing down all the way like I think they should. I have a Lyman ammo checker and some of the sized brass falls in to where it should and some sticks up above about a 32nd of an inch or so. When loaded the rounds won’t hardly chamber and the ones that fit the ammo checker correctly fit the rifle perfectly. I’m not new to reloading but have never used hornady dies and wondered if anyone has heard of sizing issues with them on 450? Also this brass is once fired hornady brass fired from a bolt action. I then tumbled it and sized it. Case length is 1.692”
The ammo that does work I can get an amazing group with. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• F76AE3C3-2E15-4F40-A6F4-0CD712274263.jpeg
    F76AE3C3-2E15-4F40-A6F4-0CD712274263.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3434.MOV
    35.3 MB
  • IMG_3433.MOV
    36.2 MB
That’s strange some will and some won’t. Are you crimping?
Yes. Crimped to .475 the problem can be traced back to the sized brass before loading. These are also once fired hornady brass that are not fitting in the ammo checker after sizing. Some fall right in and some do not.

Attachments

• IMG_3434.MOV
    35.3 MB
It sounds like you're saying they fit the case checker before sizing but not after. Get a new sizing die and see if that fixes the issue.
They don’t fit before but sometimes fit after sizing and sometimes they don’t fit after. If I load one that doesn’t fit then they don’t chamber

Are you getting some bulged cases from loading them too hot, maybe? Or if they were someone elses maybe that happened. I know i load mine pretty stout for my bolt gun with 250 and 300XTP mags.

Are you getting some bulged cases from loading them too hot, maybe? Or if they were someone elses maybe that happened. I know i load mine pretty stout for my bolt gun with 250 and 300XTP mags.
They are once fired factory hornady ftx brass. I’m only loading to get hornady factory fps. That way if I ever want to use factory ammo I can switch back.

Latest posts

Back