6.5 Creedmoor surprise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any carbon wrapped barrels. I am old school but I do have some custom guns built before the fast twist craze. My current .264 / 6.5 is in need of a new barrel after nearly 40 years. It is a 264 mag on a Sako action. Will definitely be going with a faster twist. Debating what new cartridge will work on this gun. The 264 mag is overbore. Looking for something a little more efficient. 6.5 PRC? Even a 7mm PRC would work. Plenty of magazine space for either.

I don't have any carbon wrapped barrels. I am old school but I do have some custom guns built before the fast twist craze. My current .264 / 6.5 is in need of a new barrel after nearly 40 years. It is a 264 mag on a Sako action. Will definitely be going with a faster twist. Debating what new cartridge will work on this gun. The 264 mag is overbore. Looking for something a little more efficient. 6.5 PRC? Even a 7mm PRC would work. Plenty of magazine space for either.
Well I'm getting partial to the 6.5x55 AI
Factory loaded lapua launches a 120 6.5x55se from that chamber at over 3100ft/sec.
I'm planning on working up the fireformed cases with the 127lrx to 3200 feet/sec.
And a vld 140 to over 3100.
Most American ammo is loaded way below what a modern action and lapua brass can stand.
With a fast twist barrel like 7.5 or 8 and that case I'll get there with a little less than 50 grains of H short cut and a standard primmer.
Things to consider in today's component market.
Only thing I would have done a bit different is allowing a slightly longer free bore.
The way it is I have to setback the bullets on factory loaded ammo to clear the rifling.
Kinda defeats the purpose of an AI
ITS A VERY EFFICIENT CASE over 120 years old.
Seriously worth a look in a strong action and good European brass.

Factory loaded lapua launches a 120 6.5x55se from that chamber at over 3100ft/sec.
I'm planning on working up the fireformed cases with the 127lrx to 3200 feet/sec.
Most American ammo is loaded way below what a modern action and lapua brass can stand.
With a fast twist barrel like 7.5 or 8 and that case I'll get there with a little less than 50 grains of H short cut and a standard primmer.
Only thing I would have done a bit different is allowing a slightly longer free bore.
The way it is I have to setback the bullets on factory loaded ammo to clear the rifling.
That being said it's really hard to overlook the 6.5 creedmore.
Almost every factory load shoots and it's everywhere. Almost more availible than the old gaurd 30/06 or 308....
Food for thought.

Great post
Though I've never messed with the Lapua or AI, I am a long time fan of the 6.5x55 too

Back