700ML question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just reading a thread about the 700ML and the subject of the bolt retaining screw. I didn't know that if served the dual purpose bolt retention and headspacing.
I was having an issue closing my bolt when I had the Badger Ridge 209 conversion put in it. I removed the retention bolt for the first time (I got the rifle used) and noticed that the tip of the screw was flattened and had a burr on it. I removed the burr with some light filing and then buffed the "stem" of the screw with some 1000 grit emery paper. I'm hoping I didn't mess it up. My spent primers do not show any significant blow back but do have a slight gray appearance. thoughts?

It sounds like you are getting some light blowback. They do kind of "break themselves in" requiring you to increase the length of the Primer you are using to not have blow back. I sort my Primers into 0.001" increments. I set it up initially to seal on the shortest Primers. As the Retention Screw wears, I move up to the next length. I use Shooters Choice locking lug grease on slot to lessen the rate of wear.

Latest posts

Back