700ml w/ #11 caps or something else.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m located in Idaho so need to stick to #11 caps legally for hunting. Seems the thing to do with that rifle is a 209 conversation by badger ridge. I really like the idea of the 700ml as I already have 2 r700s, a center fire and rimfire. Since I can’t do that conversion Would I be better off going with something else? I picked up an entry level traditions (pursuit) as my first muzzle loader last year. I would like this to be an upgrade, not a downgrade. My buddy has offered to sell me an older Knight Bighorn, I was also eyeballing a new CVA accura at Scheels the other day. But I keep coming back to the 700ml. What are everyone’s thoughts? Thanks!

If you are going to go with the 700ml with caps, I recommend you disassemble the bolt and check the main spring. If there is rust and corrosion in the mainspring area, it will cause misfires. I would always clean the mainspring-plunger area at least one a year after hunting season. If the main spring is rusty, I would replace it. You may be able to use musket caps but I would use the black flash protector to prevent little pieces of the cap from flying out of the nipple area. I have 700ml parts if needed

Since you have to shoot conicals and caps, you might consider a White. They’re a wonderfully simple and well made rifle. Lots of them hitting the used market here and there.
We can use copper bullets, pressure bases and ballistic tips in Idaho for this first time this year. Just no sabots

Last edited:
If you are going to go with the 700ml with caps, I recommend you disassemble the bolt and check the main spring. If there is rust and corrosion in the mainspring area, it will cause misfires. I would always clean the mainspring-plunger area at least one a year after hunting season. If the main spring is rusty, I would replace it. You may be able to use musket caps but I would use the black flash protector to prevent little pieces of the cap from flying out of the nipple area. I have 700ml parts if needed
Does the flash protector completely cover the ignition? Any law here is the ignition has to be exposed when cocked and ready to fire :/

I’m located in Idaho so need to stick to #11 caps legally for hunting. Seems the thing to do with that rifle is a 209 conversation by badger ridge. I really like the idea of the 700ml as I already have 2 r700s, a center fire and rimfire. Since I can’t do that conversion Would I be better off going with something else? I picked up an entry level traditions (pursuit) as my first muzzle loader last year. I would like this to be an upgrade, not a downgrade. My buddy has offered to sell me an older Knight Bighorn, I was also eyeballing a new CVA accura at Scheels the other day. But I keep coming back to the 700ml. What are everyone’s thoughts? Thanks!
Why cant you use the 700ml with caps. I use mine with #11 caps and real black with maxi balls and have no problems at all and the accuracy is very good

Why cant you use the 700ml with caps. I use mine with #11 caps and real black with maxi balls and have no problems at all and the accuracy is very good
I can. In my limited research it seems like everyone prefers to ditch the caps for 209 primers. I guess I am asking if the 700ml can still be a good rifle with #11s or if I’d be better of going with something else

I can. In my limited research it seems like everyone prefers to ditch the caps for 209 primers. I guess I am asking if the 700ml can still be a good rifle with #11s or if I’d be better of going with something else
All I can say is I only use caps and have never had a misfire and I do have the 209 conversion from Remington but never installed it I just have it in case I run low on caps

You can use the 700ml with #11 caps or Musket caps just fine - with black powder or any BP sub powders.

Latest posts

Back