Attn: Southwestern WV shooters looking for #11 caps, wild ride with this ML journey.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddy james

Reaction score
Dang its been a wild ride indeed on this ML journey. Having just got back into ML, things have changed a lot since 1990. My free gun no longer has parts for it. That was a huge bummer that had me thinking of ways to trade it for something "better" that had parts available. While familiarizing myself with the gun, I found that it's in excellent shape and should last a long time if taken care of properly. There was some excitement getting to know each and every part and handling the gun as I cleaned every nook and cranny.

I go and try out the smoker. Holds good groups for a half blind shooter right off the bat with 100gr of pyro and 240gr 45cal sabot. NICE! I have a few caps and a few bullets. Time to stock up! I ordered 5lb of soft lead from rotometals, lee mold from amazon. I went out and about searching for more lead, melted some down, made me some home made lube. I'm really set up with bullets etc. Time for powder and caps. Um.. ugh. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Caps and powder? Walmart? Cabela's? Ebay? Amazon?

Ok. Midsouth shooters? No. Anywhere online? No. (this is getting stupid!) I tried Canada? No. Mexico? No. Germany? No. Scalpers at online auction sites? Yes, set you back $300 or so. NO NO NO. Found a thread: Check local mom and pop stores. Called all morning for hours all through the state. After about an hour and a half, I was referred to a gentleman that said yes. Boy how that went down.

My wife called this guy. He runs a pretty nice pawn shop. She said in her sweet southern accent, "do you have any number eleven percussion caps?) He responded with, "I have some number tens." She told him no, that she needs 11's. He told her to let him check the other building. He comes back and tells her that he has some 11's at 9.99 each and has a limit of 1 per customer. (I told my wife he knows what he has and bless him for having the limit, but two would be really nice so I brought her along as a second shooter that needed a tin of caps.) The guy was great. Really nice to talk to. He was hiding the 11's for a reason! If you're really in need of caps or powder, bullets, etc in Logan, Lincoln, Boone, Wyoming counties, this guy will hook you up. He also has an excellent selection of guns. Very great to deal with. This is not an advertisement I just know caps are hard to find and this guy can help you out. I don't really want to post the name of the business, but I will freely tell you in a pm? If this is not allowed, no worries if you have to delete this I'm sorry just trying to help and share a story. :)

a friend told me in NC that they are plenty. People still posting about a shortage, which in this area there still is one considering I contacted over 20 places. Half don't stock anything ML related, the other half laughed at me 'cept for one. Cabala's are out, same for Walmart. Local pawn shop laughed at me. I drove over 50 miles 1 way for caps and powder. Worth the drive though, I'm tickled pick :) I'm set up for about 5 years minimum if I only shoot at game and the random critter that needs dispatched. Having the peace of mind knowing you won't starve for a while is priceless. :)

I found out years ago that things were usually misplaced not short in supply. I used to sell vegetable seed and had a knack for finding short in supply seed. I knew a fellow in California who needed carrot seed. Searched the country and found a fellow in Apopka Fla who had 1500 lbs. He thought he was going to have to let it go to waste. $50,000.00 I payed him for it. I did good on it too. Not short in supply just in the wrong place.

Muzzy, I'm shootin' a TC Black Diamond in the stainless flavor. Loading 100gr of pyro pellets and throwing a 230gr jacketed 45cal hp sabot. When I shoot up the 15 or so sabots I have left, I'm going with a Lee 50cal 320gr cast real bullet lubed up with home made parrafin+tallow mix. :)

anything is possible at this point.. i used to shoot as a teenager in the 90's and lots has changed. I'm just basically winging it at this point. Haven't worked up a load yet, but so far I don't have to.. shooting fine with my first try.. If it wasn't for using pellets, i would like to try backing off the powder to 80. I have a feeling its really gonna pack a punch with the 320's. Its no slouch with the 45 cals... you def feel it.

Morrison's in Asheville n.c. that's all I'm going to say besides if it's odd and you can't find it he's got it and can get it in three days. Ever heard of a 24 gauge shotgun me either till I saw the shells for sale. Just don't buy him out cause that's where I go to get things I can't find elsewhere

Dang its been a wild ride indeed on this ML journey. Having just got back into ML, things have changed a lot since 1990. My free gun no longer has parts for it. That was a huge bummer that had me thinking of ways to trade it for something "better" that had parts available. While familiarizing myself with the gun, I found that it's in excellent shape and should last a long time if taken care of properly. There was some excitement getting to know each and every part and handling the gun as I cleaned every nook and cranny.

I go and try out the smoker. Holds good groups for a half blind shooter right off the bat with 100gr of pyro and 240gr 45cal sabot. NICE! I have a few caps and a few bullets. Time to stock up! I ordered 5lb of soft lead from rotometals, lee mold from amazon. I went out and about searching for more lead, melted some down, made me some home made lube. I'm really set up with bullets etc. Time for powder and caps. Um.. ugh. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Caps and powder? Walmart? Cabela's? Ebay? Amazon?

Ok. Midsouth shooters? No. Anywhere online? No. (this is getting stupid!) I tried Canada? No. Mexico? No. Germany? No. Scalpers at online auction sites? Yes, set you back $300 or so. NO NO NO. Found a thread: Check local mom and pop stores. Called all morning for hours all through the state. After about an hour and a half, I was referred to a gentleman that said yes. Boy how that went down.

My wife called this guy. He runs a pretty nice pawn shop. She said in her sweet southern accent, "do you have any number eleven percussion caps?) He responded with, "I have some number tens." She told him no, that she needs 11's. He told her to let him check the other building. He comes back and tells her that he has some 11's at 9.99 each and has a limit of 1 per customer. (I told my wife he knows what he has and bless him for having the limit, but two would be really nice so I brought her along as a second shooter that needed a tin of caps.) The guy was great. Really nice to talk to. He was hiding the 11's for a reason! If you're really in need of caps or powder, bullets, etc in Logan, Lincoln, Boone, Wyoming counties, this guy will hook you up. He also has an excellent selection of guns. Very great to deal with. This is not an advertisement I just know caps are hard to find and this guy can help you out. I don't really want to post the name of the business, but I will freely tell you in a pm? If this is not allowed, no worries if you have to delete this I'm sorry just trying to help and share a story. :)
Go to 22reloader.com online they seel the stuff you can punch your own caps and the powder mix to go in them is like 20 dollars for like 2000 caps if you are interested contact me I have learned some secrets over the years to make the powder stay in the caps and they will work as good as store bought caps only down side is they are corrosive but your shooting black powder so got to clean it good after use anyway. Have been making my own real black powder for years at $6.00 a pound I will never pay those crazy prices let me know if I can help you

Latest posts

Back