a different find

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I'm not sure what this gun is other than what the tag states, but its a double [side by side] .54 rifle. Its percussion and as yet the date of manufacture is not available, but it appears to be old. The gun is in an antique shop and priced at $250.00 but I wasn't able to handle the gun when I saw it as the owner had the key off site. I plan to call and go back for another look. The info tag indicates that the gun was inspected by a licensed gunsmith and deemed "shootable" and that the bores are "clean" and in very good condition. I do plan to ask who the gunsmith is so I can call him, but are there any other things I need to pay particular attention to? I know I want to be certain that the locks function and that the nipple threads are not stripped or that the wood doesn't have any cracks. Any ideas here will be appreciated.

There was a company I forget who that made a double rifle called a Kodiak. And it came in .54 caliber. Check the stock carefully for cracks. Especially the fore stock as they like to crack on double rifles. Also around the nipple base look for wear and rust. Other then that drop a small flashlight down the bore and look at the bore itself. Look for pitting and rust. I am sure that if it was "inspected" by a gunsmith it would be fine to shoot. But it never hurts to look any used rifle over close that you intend to purchase.

I had that Kodiak you mention in my hands at a Cabelas. This piece is old, old. I have a hard time not thinking its about 100 years or older . I was able to see into the muzzles somewhat and the rifling comes to the end of each barrel, no crowning whatever, and the rifling appears to NOT have the wide flat lands like what we see in conventional modern rifling. The rifling almost appears as triangular. There were two pins that hold the stock in place and both were there however I want to know that they are tight. I'll know more in a few days as I am going to travel back to that shop for an up-close experience and I want to speak with the owner of that gun.

I have a TC Renegade in .54 and the bores in the double , at a glance, look close to what the Renegade muzzle appears to be, but I want to have the gun in my mitts for a better look. The wood for the most part had wear consistent with a very old gun but no cracks or serious checks could be seen with the gun in the locked glass case. I want to be certain that the locks/springs are functional along with the double triggers. The angle the gun was at in the case made it impossible to check for sights or the other lock and its nipple area. There was a rod with it but whether its original or not I can't say. If the gun passes some questions and hands-on I'll see what the owner is willing to take. I can see $200.00 if things are good but the gun will need a lot of cosmetic work and $250.00 may be a stretch for me in lieu of that.

Thanks for the pointers Cayuga. If anyone else can think of things I should look at feel free to comment.

Back