A glimpse at next deer season...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
About 60 yards off a back road just a few miles from my house I saw these deer around 4:30 p.m.  With all the snow gone they were nibbling on some early greens popping-up in the water-soaked farmer's field.   They certainly weren't shy for me to pull over, take out my camera and grab a pic.  They know it's not hunting season anymore.

20160222_162343%20-%20Copy_zpsv4v1ocbb.jpg

Now that the snow is all but gone around my house my black lab and I have been out looking for sheds.  Haven't found any yet and my lab hasn't been very helpful.  I'm looking for deer horns and he is looking for deer poop to much on.  :shock:  Go figure.

That's almost as many deer as I saw while hunting this year. I only saw 14 all year. :oops:

Game is pretty relaxed in the off season. These elk let me walk right on them.

IMG_0692_zpscb703aac.jpg

Its amazing that they know when the seasons are over.

Although I have to admit. Last year my dad and brother and I were on the atv's when I spotted a doe and I drove a little ways, stopped and then videoed the deer for a bit before I noticed another one in front of her. Easy 60 yard shot if we had a doe tag at the time. We must have watched and videoed for 10 minutes before we got up and left them grazing.

Everyone here knows I am the Dummkopf that can't post pictures. If I could I would post one of my "troop" of whitetail that are looking in my window every morning at daylight waiting for handouts. There has been as many as ten, but usually the regular eight, five last year fawns (two button bucks) and three does. One doe and her last years fawn which is a button buck eat corn from my hand at daylight and before sundown. All will eat corn on the ground as I pour it from the can. My "pet" doe has been eating from my hand since Nov of 2010.
It has been a rough winter here with lots of snow, the animals are thin and the hip bones are very distinct.

John
John

patocazador said:
That's almost as many deer as I saw while hunting this year. I only saw 14 all year. :oops:
I can relate to poor number sightings this past season as well. Too much food and mild weather.

I haven't hunted the Game Management Area in my pic for a long time, but may revisit it this year after seeing that small group of deer.  From a strategic viewpoint, access is limited which makes it's a difficult to hunt with the surrounding Safety Zone setbacks.

"From a strategic viewpoint, access is limited which makes it's a difficult to hunt with the surrounding Safety Zone setbacks."

That may be a good reason to hunt it. The more trouble it is to hunt, the less competition you'll have.

I hunt several places with access by boat or foot (bicycle) only. I see fewer hunters that way and the deer aren't as disturbed.

You're absolutely right 'pat.  I'll likely hit it early this year during bow season before gunfire sends them deep into their refuge.

Latest posts

Back