A Moment in time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texsam1949

Reaction score
Here is a target I shot a "Long time ago" ! I was a member of the Alamo Muzzle loading Gun club out of SATX. This was at one of the monthly fun shoots.
I was using a Full stock Flintlock .50 Hawken built by Roy Utley (does anyone know him ? he would be in mid 80s ?) He had built the rifle but finally decided it
was a little heavier then he wanted to shoot anymore and he was interested in my Southgate .45 cal Flintlock rifle. An equitable trade occurred !
Well on the day of this monthly shoot I decided to try the particular event. As shown on the target , it was 25 yr, offhand, 3 shots. one on each target, left to right, best score won!
I was an average shooter but not in that top group (class A versus Class B) There were maybe a dozen or so shooters and we lined up and started firing on targets.
At 25 yd everyone could fairly easily see the others target and after to 2 rounds I noticed just about everyone had dropped out as they had not scored well so far.
I realized it was done to me and another Shooter (one of the top guys) both shooting flintlocks. I took the first shot, He looked at my target and just quit right there as
we were equal on the other 2 larger targets to that point ! All I can say I felt dang excited about all that ! I only regret not getting him to sign my target for record .Old target1.jpg

It's always interesting to see what type of targets are used to score at fun shoots.
Nice shooting and thanks for posting.

I shot this one at the last match I attended, but managed to shoot just a little high ! It was a 25 yd. target that I shot with my .50 Hawken.
gahIydil.jpg

It would be so nice to have young eyes once more.

Isn't the truth Hanshi ..... old age sucks with failing eyesight - comes along with misspelled words too .... :rolleyes:

At the Colorado State Muzzleloading Championships in 1989 (Leadville CO) the association had a week full of primitive shoots with good prizes. Our club The Buckhorn Skinners Mountainman group from Northern Colorado had a field day with all the matches won. Had one member that wouldn't shut up always bragging about how good he was - non stop. After a week of him bending everyones ear, the shooter had had enough. The last shoot was steel figures set at different distances: 10 yards, 20 yards, and so on to 300 yards (total of ten targets per shooter), we had four of the same target at each distance. The neat part was you get to take the steel targets home after the event.

The mouth Bob is ragging on everyone, he's never shot past 100 yards with a muzzleloader - a T/C Hawken .50 cal. (I know this working as I with him and shoot with him). I shot at least several times a week at different distances with my H.E. Leman .58 cal GRRW rifle on our 300 acres. The four man teams were slected by drawing a number out of a hat, I got lucky I'm shooting against members of the Buckhorn group including the person mentioned.

299ydshoot.jpg
After (10) shots I shut him up for at least 1/2 an hour, see my target of the buffalo (by the way it stands 7 inches tall and 8 inches wide while the bear is 8 inches in height. Bob kept talking so the CSMLA set the bear at 300 yards we each had 3 shots (Bob or myself never connected with that bear). Fun times with Bob until the day he passed on, God Bless him and the memories.

Oh, this was an offhand match, no modern holds like seen today with the olympic holds and raised elbows. :(

Last edited:
At 200 yards the buffalo target placed on a hill (slight slope) all you could see was a small orange spot, the shape wasn't visible. So we were just shooting at an orange spot. The bear looked like a orange stick, probably why we couldn't hit it. ;) $250 price money made great bragging foder to rub under Bob's nose. :p

I can now only dream of shooting the likes of what's posted above. Yep, it just sucks when you flat can't see worth a d%&#.

I use to buy used out of date Remington 870 and 1100's 2-3/4" guns, when the 3" guns came on the scene. They were cheap and a good money maker with a few mods; cut the barrels at 18-1/2" to be safe with the Feds rule of 18", put a "B Square" scope mount and an Aim Point (red dot) scope. We would be in to them around $300-$325. We had orders for them all the time from the police departments, guys wanting home defence weapons. All it took was show them how well they shot at 25 yards and then at 50 yards, done deal - sold.

870 target.jpg

Targets like this were and are common for these old shotguns.

.​

Latest posts

Back