A ton of shooting today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Went out to the NRA Whittington Center with my nephew and our friend. Later on my sister, brother in law, their grand daughter & my niece joined us.

Beautiful weather, even though it did cloud up and sprinkle rain a bit, it cleared up and we were all alone on the range for once.

I had my Traditions St.Louis Hawken & Traditions Mountain Rifle with me. My friend robert were doing most of the shooting with the muzzleloaders.

I found that my St.Louis Hawken loves anything from 50 to 100 grains Pyrodex P and will put shots touching at 50 yards! I did my shooting standing up, leaning my hand against a steel pole to steady my aim. I don't know how many shots we took in total, but the 20 pre measured charges and almost all of my smaller horn was completely used up!

We also shot a mix of pure lead round balls, and the chilled shot lead balls that I made to try out for hunting season if they pass the sand bucket tests.

Zero hang fires or misfires! The MR runs a factory nipple, while my Hawken uses a factory nipple that's been modded with a cone shaped nipple face to spread the flash.

After I got tired, I tried to talk my sister and niece into shooting my Hawken but nooooo. They wouldn't touch it LOL.

I talked to my step nephews 7 year old daughter and sure in ****, she took 2 shots with the MR!

That got my sister interested in the rifle, so she started shooting it and loved it and actually said, I like this, this is fun!

They were shooting 50 grains Pyrodex P and a round ball.

I gathered up as many patches as I could on the range and inspected them. It seems the 90gr Pyrodex P charge was starting to burn some small holes into the .015" bridgers best patches, but the accuracy was still outstanding.

Neither rifle needed swabbing either! I pre lubed those patches in my anti rust lube and used my prototype knight ultimate range rod to save the wood rods for actual hunting.

It was a real relaxing day on the range. No wind, a little light rain ( its pouring and hailing now ) both rifles shot perfect. May have a couple new BP shooters to add to the list as well!

Some guys have all the fun shooting while Im bustin my ass workin

Congrats to the 7 year old who stepped-up-to-the-plate for a second shot! :Red tup:

Marty said:
Congrats to the 7 year old who stepped-up-to-the-plate for a second shot! :Red tup:
Yes indeed! :Red tup::Red tup:

(But, I didn't even know Pete was there... ) :joker:

Back