A Young Man's First Firearm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that you were really on top of the MMA game. I was, on the other hand, the equivalent of a tackling dummy for the guys who were good.

I likely was a better shot then the other MMA competitors were, but 22 rimfires were not permitted on the mat. (back on topic) At 18 to 19 years old:
NRA Marksmanship plaques 1966mdsmblur.jpg

I know that you were really on top of the MMA game. I was, on the other hand, the equivalent of a tackling dummy for the guys who were good.

I likely was a better shot then the other MMA competitors were, but 22 rimfires were not permitted on the mat. (back on topic) At 18 to 19 years old:
I need to take a few pictures of items like shown, my wife keeps telling me to clean out my room, she hates things that collect dust. I refer to it as "patina", that doesn't go over well.

One day I'll clean out my room (bedroom) of 50 years worth of trophies, awards and paperwork from drag racing, the shooting sports and motorcross, snowmobile championships.

My first rifle was a Daisy BB gun and later at Remington Model 514 in .22, which I still have. My sons learned to shoot well with it.

I guess I never considered air rifles "Firearms", but since a few members mentioned them my shooting days go back to when I was 8 or 9 years old. Crosman BB to Pellet rifles was the starter norm.

I loved my Sheridan Blue Streak .20. The only rabbits I ever killed were taken with that good rifle. It won't hold a pump any longer and needs fixing; that's now a priority for me.

I have my first firearm that was my father's and then mine. I learned how to shoot with it and it's been with me ever since. It's an old bolt action .22LR made by JC Higgins (Marlin) and has "Sears & Roebuck Co." on the barrel....back when you could order from a catalog and they shipped it to your door. It's probably one of the most accurate .22's I own or have ever fired which say alot as I have a few Savage MK II's that are no slouch. The rifle has a 7 round detacheable mag. The iron sights are deadly accurate and I don't feel it needs a scope....for now. All depending on how my eyes are in a few years, lol.

Is my son going to keep the airplanes? Al, my friend, I don't know about that yet. I've kept all the original boxes so that they would be easier to sell if something happened to me.
He's a dedicated shooter and sees firearms as tools. And, he is very serious about his 2nd amendment rights. As he gets older, I think he will see the enjoyment in shooting just for fun, just like it was when he was a kid and we went to the range together.

At age 5 my father bought (6) Winchester Model 67 was a single shot, bolt action .22 caliber rimfire rifle sold from 1934 to 1963. The extra (4) rifles were for cousins same or close too my age. The left over rifle he kept for his trainer.

Winchester_Model_67.jpg
This is my father's rifle (box was shot up in the 50's as it had printed targets on the inside).
At age 6 my cousins and myself were shooting at cans, I see a small fawn across the creek, layed down and shot this little gut in the head. Then we got scared telling my older cousin what was done, he skinned the the baby and get the meat to our grandmother. We had that fawn for Sunday dinner, we were told it was chicken otherwise we would probably got eaten the meat, still havint the kill in our minds. One cousin wanted to know who ate the drumstick ??? 😕

The way I remember how old I was when I started shooting was Dad picked up his new 1951 GMC pickup and a used Remington model 24 in 22 short only the same day. He had a place rented to feed 2700 sheep and the place had hundreds of ground squirrels. I would steer the truck early each morning while Dad threw off "beats" of hay which would give each yearling ewe 2 1/2 pounds of feed. Then I would go to the second grade. In the spring I started thinning out the squirrels.

At age 5 my father bought (6) Winchester Model 67 was a single shot, bolt action .22 caliber rimfire rifle sold from 1934 to 1963. The extra (4) rifles were for cousins same or close too my age. The left over rifle he kept for his trainer.

This looks an awful lot like the Winchester .22 I used; but mine was sans tg.

This is the cheap little .177 I received about 17 years ago; it has taken many squirrels, however. Got a photo of the Sheridan on my computer somewhere but can't find it.

.22 Hornet top, .22LR Kimber Custom Classic on the bottom. Both are Kimber of Oregon M82s I've had for around 35 years. The Hornet has killed deer, bucks and does, and is superbly accurate. The .22LR is the most accurate .22 I've ever fired; although my old Marlin 39A nips at it's heels. It has taken a mass of squirrels over the years.
DSC00282.jpg

Marlin Model 60 was my first, My dad kept it after I enlisted, 1989, returned to me in 2007, It is now my sons. Daughter has dads Marlin Model 25. YES actual Marlin from New Haven Connecticut

I had two brothers and as each of us reached 12 years old, my father bought us a single shot 12 gauge. We hunted pheasants, ducks, rabbits and whatever with them. I even remember shooting bullfrogs by holding the shotgun down next to the ground and spraying the shot across the water. I had a 37 Winchester and it always kicked the crap out of me, but did it's job just fine.

mine was a Revelation 22 LR made by Marlin just like my Dad's which was a Sears made by Marlin

My first was a Ithaca .22, single shot, lever action. I think it was a model 66 . I remember the 1st rabbit I killed with it. Seems like yesterday. Wish I still had it for my grandsons.

When i turned 13 and my brother was 11 that Christmas my dad presented both of us a Marlin model 60 twenty two auto rifle. We went to the Trinity river and fired several hundred rounds thru them. I will be 70 this November and i still have mine. With a Bushnell 4x40 scope it is my still one of my most accurate rifles.
DL

Latest posts

Back