Aero tip question...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
I shoot the 295gr hollow point pushed by 2 50gr pyrodex pellets and ignited by a 209 primer. This set up is very accurate out of my gun. The Aero tips shoots exactly the same. I have taken 7 animals now using the hollow points but have not had a single pass through. My shots are usually between 40 and 70 yards. My question is will the Aero tip penatrate, hold together or perform better than the hollow point at that range. They look like the same bullet to me except for the little plastic tip. Just wondering what to load up with for our season opener tomorrow (shotgun season). It will be either the 295 hollow, the 295 Aero tip ot the Hornady 300gr XTP (which dosent shoot as good but I believe performs better)
Thanks
Frank

The Aerotip will hold up and penetrate better. I'd go with that one.

I have not used the Hollow points on game. But the Aero tips do go thru.
The last deer I shot went about 35-40 yards.

Here is a picture of a deer I shot since my last post. It was shot with a 245gr Aero tip power belt with 100grs of pyrodex.
This deer was blown off of it's feet. The bullet did go thru all the way.

blackpowderdeer.jpg

This is the bullet

bullets.jpg

yes the aerotip does help the bullet from opening to quickly.

yes. 80gr pyrodex or equal will be perfect for that kind of range.

i am shooting american pioneer powder sticks so far i like it but have not hunted with it. i am using 2 sticks or 100 grains of powder. the power belt web site listed ballistics for this to be flat shooitng with 100 grains of powder and the224 grain bullet

APP shoots pretty low velocity so i would say to use 2 sticks and give that a try. I am not sure if they make 30gr sticks or not.

Latest posts

Back