New MR-X

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back mid December I purchased a Accura MR-X. The folks at Muzzle-loaders.com were a delight to deal with, as they have been throughout all of the transactions I've had with them over the years.
Unfortunately the barrel is choked, from my viewpoint this is CVA's problem to deal with and will be taken up with them first thing Monday Morning.
My bullet of preference is a 450 grain .501 Lee paper patched and sized to just lightly engrave on the lands I could not even get an acceptable pattern, let alone group, at 25 yards with this using 64 grains of American Shooter's by weight.
This morning I took a Thor bullet and sized it to just touch the lands, (.500) it rode with uniform resistance down the barrel until it was 8" from the breech plug then free-fell the rest of the way. I did load a powerbelt aero tip while I was at the range the point lodged in the jag when it was seated the bullet came up to where the choke started I then lightly seated it and fired the round, swabbed the barrel packed my kit and drove home in disgust.
Again, I have dealt with Muzzle-Loaders.com many times over the years and will continue to do so, as I do not feel this is their issue to deal with. I have a CVA Optima V2 that shoots the above mentioned bullet very well, got the Accura because of the adjustable stock, (I love it). I will post further after I talk with CVA Monday.

Unfortunately you are beyond their “warranty period”. You must return it within 2 weeks of purchase. Most people are lucky to even shoot it that soon. And there is no accuracy guarantee.

That said, if your barrel is defective, which it sounds like it is, they should replace it. Let us know what they say.

How do they think they can stay in business when they continue to sell crap like this? I have recommended cva for years but am now warning people to stay away from them until they fix these issues.

Where cva is concerned, they are a has been. You are much better buying a used cva than a new one.

I will not even capitalize cva unless the earn back our trust.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you are beyond their “warranty period”. You must return it within 2 weeks of purchase. Most people are lucky to even shoot it that soon. And there is no accuracy guarantee.
Sure, Hope Not. ☹️

Have fun taking to CVA about that. This is one of the reasons I am no longer recommending or supporting them. Similar experience and they would not do anything other than offer 20% off on a new rifle. Why would I buy another one when the one I have doesn’t work - and they won’t do anything about it?

i hope cva does you right . midwayUSA was awesome about returning my 50 cal. MRX . but i had it less than 2 weeks and my barrel was VERY janked up and i had never shot it or put a bullet down the bore . it makes no sense that the 50 barrels on the wolf and optima seem fine but getting anything good in one of their premium bergara barrels now seems like a crap shoot . it is what it is .....

Back mid December I purchased a Accura MR-X. The folks at Muzzle-loaders.com were a delight to deal with, as they have been throughout all of the transactions I've had with them over the years.
Unfortunately the barrel is choked, from my viewpoint this is CVA's problem to deal with and will be taken up with them first thing Monday Morning.
My bullet of preference is a 450 grain .501 Lee paper patched and sized to just lightly engrave on the lands I could not even get an acceptable pattern, let alone group, at 25 yards with this using 64 grains of American Shooter's by weight.
This morning I took a Thor bullet and sized it to just touch the lands, (.500) it rode with uniform resistance down the barrel until it was 8" from the breech plug then free-fell the rest of the way. I did load a powerbelt aero tip while I was at the range the point lodged in the jag when it was seated the bullet came up to where the choke started I then lightly seated it and fired the round, swabbed the barrel packed my kit and drove home in disgust.
Again, I have dealt with Muzzle-Loaders.com many times over the years and will continue to do so, as I do not feel this is their issue to deal with. I have a CVA Optima V2 that shoots the above mentioned bullet very well, got the Accura because of the adjustable stock, (I love it). I will post further after I talk with CVA Monday.
You just described my MRX .50 cal to the tee. I even tried the Thor sizing pal like you. I ended up going with a sabot and Parker bullet. I’m following this thread.

Did you try to resolve this issue with CVA? If so what were the results?
No sir just tried multiple sabot/bullet combinations until I came up with a combo that shot good. I tried the Fury universal. .50 cal bullet and it wouldn’t group. Spoke with guy that makes Fury bullets he said mine and your situation was very common and a nightmare for him trying to make bullets to shoot out of those rifles. I gave up on trying to go the bullet to bore route because of the same thing you described in your post.

Unfortunately you are beyond their “warranty period”. You must return it within 2 weeks of purchase. Most people are lucky to even shoot it that soon. And there is no accuracy guarantee.

That said, if your barrel is defective, which it sounds like it is, they should replace it. Let us know what they say.

How do they think they can stay in business when they continue to sell crap like this? I have recommended cva for years but am now warning people to stay away from them until they fix these issues.

Where cva is concerned, they are a has been. You are much better buying a used cva than a new one.

I will not even capitalize cva unless the earn back our trust.s
I haven't spoken to CVA personally, but actually isn't there an accuracy guarantee on the Accura X-treme series? If I recall correctly if its not the most accurate muzzleloader you've shot they will refund or replace your rifle... Going to give them a call today regarding something totally different but will definitely be asking about that...

As Kyle stated, but as Diablo shows, for only 15 days.

When I requested an estimate on what a X-LR was capable of, I was told 2.5” a sawtooth 100 yds. If I wanted 1.5” they recommended the Paramount! I asked him what the LR stood for and got no answer.

So, as long as you take the gun straight from the store to the range, you are covered!

MidwayUSA accepted the return of the .50 MR-X i got from them in december when i sent them a pic of the barrel . i didn't contact CVA at all .
20221231_183412.jpg

When I requested an estimate on what a X-LR was capable of, I was told 2.5” a sawtooth 100 yds. If I wanted 1.5” they recommended the Paramount! I asked him what the LR stood for and got no answer.
That is so laughable. What are these clowns at CVA smoking? Their basic Wolf or Optima will easily do 1.5 inches or better at 100 yards with a good load.
Hell, your basic sidelock gun will do 1.5 inches or better at 100 yards with a good load and sights. Do they even know what their own guns that they build are capable of?

Back