Air Rifle Practice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
I had my 13 yr. old nephew over today to do some shooting. First off, I really didn't want to use a firearm because the range is the same piece of property that I deer hunt on, and season opener is a week away. I did bring out the Savage for a few shots tho.... :) So we shot mostly with my Air Arms TX200 .177 cal, scoped with a Simmons 6.5-20 44Mag.

This is his first deer season, so I wanted to make sure that he knew where to hit a deer. I told him last weekend that he needed to hit the internet and look at deer anatomy and study where they should be shot. I purchased a few cardboard deer bow targets with the vitals outlined. I placed the targets with the paint facing away, at varying yardage (10 Yds to about 70 Yds, one was at the 100 Yd marker tho - just to teach him how a "bullet" can be tossed around by the wind) Even tho it was breezy, he did pretty good. I'm confident that he can put a bullet where it needs to be to cleanly harvest a whitetail.

I pulled out the Savage (your old gun, Rman) and loaded 36 gr of VV 110, 250 gr SST, short MMP sabot and CCI 209M primer. He said that it kicked (I took the lead out of the stock), so I switched to 30 gr. of VV 110, 200 gr SST, MMP Blue Sabot, Wonder Wad and CCI 209M primer. We each shot 3 shots at the same target - 100 Yds. out. The total group size was 1.5". Now to chrono the load to see if it has enough oomph for an 80 Yd shot (the farthest that he can shoot on Opening Day)

Now, we were shooting from a bench, using a few boat cushions to sit on, and to rest the pellet gun on. The gun is heavy, and he couldn't hold it steady enough for offhand shooting. We did play with some shotgun hulls and various other small reactive targets and he had a blast. He ran close to 100 pellets thru the gun. He was able to figure out the windage needed to hit 12 ga shotgun hulls @ 50 Yds on a regular basis, and I was able to pull off hitting a 9mm shell casing and a HPH sabot at the same distance. :shock: Needless to say, I didn't tell him that with the wind today it was more luck than skill that I hit those small targets at that yardage! I did pick a calm moment and zing one into the vitals of the deer target @ 100 Yds tho. :D The pellet had enough energy left to go thru the cardboard, but at 100 Yds it just barely buries itself into a sheet of plywood.

Dwight, you're right, I need more offhand practice! I was only able to do 3" to 4" groups @ 50 Yds with the pellet gun. :(

Scott I would think that 3-4 in with a pellet gun at 50yds might not be so bad, I dont know as I have never tried it. But any practice is better then none at all and it sounds like you both had a good time.

Dwight:

The pellet gun can shoot 1" or less groups @ 50 Yds, so I've got a wobble of 2" to 3". :( These Spring Air Rifles are hold sensitive too, so that comes into play also. Practice, practice, practice!

Blue-Dot-37.5

So keep practicing! You might brush up on your sporting clays too! :lol:

Back