Air Rifle Scope Mounts - big6x6

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
Chuck:

While we are on the subject of Rifleman's air rifle, would you care to explain why good scope mounts are necessary, and what are good choices?

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Chuck:

While we are on the subject of Rifleman's air rifle, would you care to explain why good scope mounts are necessary, and what are good choices?

Yeah, okay.

We're talking about SPRING powered air rifles here. There are all kinds of things going on within a spring powered air rifle. LOTS of movement. The rifle is built basically around a compression chamber and a barrel. Within the compression chamber is a spring and a piston. When cocking an air rifle the spring is compressed and the piston is moved to the rear of the rifle(towards the shooter) where the trigger holds it. When the trigger is pulled the piston moves foward VIOLENTLY, compresses air, pushes the pellet down the barrel, and comes to an abrupt stop. This movement causes an air rifle to recoil to the front AND to the rear.

The PRIMARY force on an air rifle is to the FRONT! Without proper mounts, an improperly mounted scope WILL creep to the rear(towards to shooter). And I do mean WILL creap to the rear! First, typical .22 dovetail rings may not even fit the air rifle dovetail which vary from 9.5mm(3/8 inch, typical .22RF rings), 11mm, to 14mm! It is essential that the proper ones are purchased! MOST of the German rifles are 11mm while English rifles use both 11mm and 14mm. Secondly, having the proper SIZED rings isn't enough. MOST air rifle receivers have 2-4 machined holes between the dovetails in order that a mount may be used that has a "stop-pin" that will fit into one of the holes. The use of the mounts with stop-pins almost always keeps this rearward movement of the scope in check. If my camera wasn't packed up, I'd take a picture. The mounts with stop-pins include those made by SportsMatch, marketed here by Beeman and B-Square. One mount that doesn't require a stop pin is those by BKL. They hold by being machined properly, clamping area, and clamping force.

How's that?

Very nice! Much better than I could have done. Thanks. That's one reason why my Burris Signature Rings on the TX200 are letting the scope walk rearward. The one with the pin is staying put (although it's tipping back at the top) while the front ring and scope are slowly walking backward.......

I know this an old topic but I am pretty familiar with air rifles and have to say that another reason good mounts are important is because differant manafacturers dove tails are differant widths. If you use mismatched dovetail and rings the scope will actually set a little off of bore center which will make a differance in poi at differant ranges as far as windage.

Back