All this talk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About TSS and shooting birds at longer ranges had me thinking. It seems we live in a fast paced, "I want it now" world.
I'm from an entirely different generation. Yes its nice to have better, faster, easier, etc. but that's not the way I was raised. I like the fact that I was taught and learned how to be patient and learned how to set up and get animals close. To me its not just about the killing which is the reason I love muzzleloading and bow hunting.
Setting up a tree stand in the right location for cruising buck during the rut, calling in a tom turkey in the spring or any during the fall and calling ducks or geese into your spread is all part of the fun and excitement. To me shooting a turkey at 60 yards or "sky busting" waterfowl is just not my cup of tea. Getting them in your face up close and personal is much more exciting.
OK I got that off my chest. I feel better now...!!!!!

I've got three turkey shotguns: two (2) New England Firearms 12 ga Mossy Oak Bottom Land and one (1) NEF 10 ga MOBL.
I patterned down to .665" constriction with all sorts of brands and shot size at 40 yards. I ended up with the original choke tube
and 3" ACTIV #5 (2 1/4oz) nickel plated shot shells. Never less than 9 pellets in a Preston Pittman Target with an average of Lucky 13 in the skull/neck bone.
I have Winchester Full Beard XR #4 and #5 from when it first came out around 10 years ago. I just haven't needed to pattern them yet.

BTW, both 12 ga NEF's are marked 3 1/2" Chamber and weight @ 6 lbs each. My boss gave me 5 of his favorite 3 1/2" Winchester loads (non-WIN FB XR) that he uses in his semi. One shot, one time and never again. I actually, very slowly, felt for blood and bone splinters on the whole right side of my face. David at David's Gun Room, 5074 Buford Hwy, Norcross, GA 30071, had both 12 gauge chambers measured. The one I tested with my boss's favorite was short chambered. The shell had dropped in just fine. BUTT!!! the crimp of the unfired shell was just touching the forcing cone.

Last edited:
David that's one of the reasons I went with the 20 ga and never looked back. Pattering 3 1/2" 12 gauge shells is a real pain and I don't mean on the backside! I used to hunt waterfowl and invested in the then Ithaca Mag-10. One heck of a shotgun and great for turkey too but the thing weighed a ton. But I was young and strong and I could carry 2 bags of decoys (24), my folding seat with ammo and calls and the shotgun for a half mile to my spot on the river bank. I always thought of getting saddle bags for my lab to carry something in but she usually worked hard enough battling the river current retrieving what I shot.

Back