Alternative to H4198

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
Currently shooting 50g of H4198 over 10g of 4227 w/the 195g Barnes bullet. I'm very low on this powder and wondering about Reloader 7 as a sub. Our ML season here in Maine is in Dec so I have to be concerned about ignition. This is the reason for the 10g of 4227,just to be sure. Any suggestions regarding charge weights for 2500 fps would be helpful.

You can use RL7, its real close to H4198 use couple more grs. than the 4198.
This is good as there is no N110 ,N120 or H4198 locally. Do I need to use the small charge of 4227 under it for cold weather ignition. It can get pretty cold here in Dec.

In a .458 cal. rifle built for smokeless powder, you can shoot H 4198, VV N-120 or Reloader #7 without 4227 to help in ignition. I have never used a duplex load that I could get the velocity I wanted without blowing the sabot.
I used to shoot 66 gr. of VV N-120 with the Barnes 195 gr. bullet W/Harvester sabot @3000 FPS.
I have used 73 gr. of Reloader #7 with the Barnes and 72 gr. with the Pittman 225 gr. Accumax bullet for 2675 FPS.
I have shot these powders in below freezing temps and never had a problem, but I always shoot Federal 209 primers or Federal 215 Magnum Match primers.
Just make sure the Barnes bullets/sabot are tight going down the bbl. You may have to knurl them up a 0.001" or so. The Pittman is a little bigger at .402
I always keep a log of my shooting and loads.
Good luck and have fun.

I reckon it depends on the velocity you want to reach. Blue Dot i use 17.0 to 22 gr with a 45/40 HLB n 195-200 gr bullets. Its fast, VV110 you can't get. I use 4759 also 31-38 gr. I always use a dry wool wad over my powder when using sabots.
What kind of velocity you getting with those Blue Dot loads?

What kind of velocity you getting with those Blue Dot loads?
I don't have a chrony, but i figure 17.0 would be 1700-1750 area from my 20" barrel. About 2000 with the 22 gr load. Longer barrels would get it up some more. It works great for me, most of my shots are less than 150 yards.

Last edited:
I don't have a chrony, but i figure 17.0 would be 1700-1750 area from my 20" barrel. About 2000 with the 22 gr load. Longer barrels would get it up some more. It works great for me, most of my shots are less than 150 yards.
I hope you have enough Bluedot to last awhile. It’s been discontinued from what I have seen.

I hope you have enough Bluedot to last awhile. It’s been discontinued from what I have seen.
Really ! I may have get to my Shop i buy from. Last time i was these he had 6 cases of it. If its available anywhere States side he will get it for me. I have 2 lbs on hand n my usual load is 19.0 gr. It should last awhile.

Really ! I may have get to my Shop i buy from. Last time i was these he had 6 cases of it. If its available anywhere States side he will get it for me. I have 2 lbs on hand n my usual load is 19.0 gr. It should last awhile.
Yeah, it should. I'm kinda partial to N110.

I finally found some N110 [had to order it but no Hazmat as it is ordered with a mass order] 200 miles from home. We'll be traveling back thru that area later this fall/early winter and I'm grabbing a couple jugs then. IMR4198 is all over the friggin place here at home so that is what I have been shooting. I'll hunt with it in early November since its doubtful we'll be in negative numbers on the thermometer. If I buy a license for the muzzleloader season that runs well into December I'll hunt to Accura with BH.

I finally found some N110 [had to order it but no Hazmat as it is ordered with a mass order] 200 miles from home. We'll be traveling back thru that area later this fall/early winter and I'm grabbing a couple jugs then. IMR4198 is all over the friggin place here at home so that is what I have been shooting. I'll hunt with it in early November since its doubtful we'll be in negative numbers on the thermometer. If I buy a license for the muzzleloader season that runs well into December I'll hunt to Accura with BH.
You will like N110.

Back