Another reason

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Why I use Blackhorn 209
dd.jpg
Accuracy. I tested Bh against Shooters World BP Sub
the upper left target has a bullet at 7 o'clock and another at just right of 12 after 2 shots I had seen enough
Then I fired a three shot group with Blackhorn 209 and you can see the results
The bullets for the test were Fury 250 gr
Then for the heck of it I fired 3 shots with a 300 gr. Pittman Aeromax
the SW I used a 120 gr. charge and all the rest used a 125 gr. charge of BH 209
These were fired at 82° and 100 yards from my Knight Peregrine 40 cal

Last edited:
I wonder what contributes to that? Do you thing the other stuff is causing major variation in velocity?

That's a pretty stout load of both powders. If you have tested multiple powder weights of Shooters World and this is the best accuracy you could get, then it's clear that SW sucks in comparison.
I did a very similar test with the same 250 grain Fury bullets, Blackhorn and SW and came to the same conclusion. I now have almost 2 lbs of SW that I won't use till I run another test. Maybe I'll find the stuff is good for something,,,, other than fertilizer. Apparently others have gotten decent accuracy with it. I think I wasted my money.

that load is down from my normal 130 gr load of Blackhorn
somewhere between 130-140 gr is the sweet spot for my rifle with a 300 gr bullet

The powder a gun prefers is total random. The gun they made after the one you shot above may not shoot BH209 accurately at all. Each gun is as individual as people.

But it certainly works for you. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back