Another reloading question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
As I said on the other post, when I was testing the new 300 WSM, the groups all went south for the last 2 test loads of 65 and 65.5 grains. Some shots were over 8 inches from zero. Just wondering if it could have anything to do with already having fired over 40 rounds and had not cleaned the bore. Could the fouling have built up to the point that it would have affected groups?

Some shots were over 8 inches from zero. Just wondering if it could have anything to do with already having fired over 40 rounds and had not cleaned the bore.

I guess It COULD have had something to do with it but I've never seen a dirty bore have that much of an impact on poi. Usually a load stays CLOSE to the same point of impact as the powder charge so up/down. Of course slight changes are likely and of course the group size may change. This is a NEW rifle/outfit...make sure action/scope mount screws are still tight and the scope is where it should be. Next..clean the crap out of the barrel with some good copper solvent.

big6x6 said:
Some shots were over 8 inches from zero. Just wondering if it could have anything to do with already having fired over 40 rounds and had not cleaned the bore.

I guess It COULD have had something to do with it but I've never seen a dirty bore have that much of an impact on poi. Usually a load stays CLOSE to the same point of impact as the powder charge so up/down. Of course slight changes are likely and of course the group size may change. This is a NEW rifle/outfit...make sure action/scope mount screws are still tight and the scope is where it should be. Next..clean the crap out of the barrel with some good copper solvent.

That's kind of what I figured. As soon as I have a minute the rifle will be cleaned and I'll check the scope. What I noticed when shooting was that the group up to the final 2 targets weren't too bad, not what I would want to shoot, but kind of what I expected. The last 2 were all over the place and IMO shouldn't have been. When I mounted the scope I tighted it down real good but I didn't locktite it because it's only temporary. Now I think I should have because this baby recoils real good :shock: .

Back