Anyone build their own Kentucky long rifle from a kit?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend built that exact same rifle. And it turned out beautiful and a great shooter. I watched him nail a deer at 100 yards with that rifle, open sights, and dropped it where it stood. I have shot his rifle and its was a nice rifle. That's about all I can tell you. And I should point out, that is a roundball twist for that rifle.

I've built one. The key is to take your time and test fit parts frequently. I spent more than two months building mine. I had never built a firearm previous to this kit, so I worked slowly. None of the parts fit well, so there's' a lot of time spent in the file-testfit-file-testfit cycle (It is a kit afterall, not a lego set). To be as careful as possible during construction, I never used a dremel. My only beef is that the included sights are junk, especially the front. I spent a bit of extra money to install historically incorrect modern sights. The stock is composed of two pieces of wood, not one as was used 200 years ago. All that said, it is a hoot to shoot. It gets quite a bit of attention at shooting ranges. As a first BP build, it's a good first build.

Latest posts

Back