If I were building a 40 cal!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
I have learned stubbornly a lot more about cut rifle versus button rifle over the last few years, from a lot of centerfire experience I was very aware of the accuracy potential of both, with most of the more accurate barrels I had experience with being cut rifle, I had some wonderful semi-custom sporter builds on Mausers with button rifle barrels, Douglas,Wilson shilen, Etc that were phenomenal shooters. Since I never sized a bullet and pushed it through any of those barrels I never had an awareness of the lack of uniformity that probably existed on many of them in particular the button rifle.
The first four or five years of my muzzle loading experience were mainly with plastic loads and most of those loads were in a 28 twist 50 cal you realize in those cheaper break action rifles when you're pushing a Sabot load through it that there are often parts of the barrel usually a quarter, sometimes even a half, that have a tite or a loose spot and then again sometimes you find that tight or loose spot smaller at the muzzle or at the bottom beside the powder column and the bullet where it seats. It didn't take long to realize the plastic was either filling in or shrinking a little bit where it needed to which made the rifle shoot and many times very accurately. I have realized that many of my button rifle barrels struggle shooting a size bullet not so much because of the type of rifling but more because of the lack of consistent bore tolerance, it just makes sense if that bore is uneven that the plastic is going to be a crutch for that and that's a good thing, but if you think about it at the same time it allows the industry to give us a lot of substandard barrels that we find ways to make shoot, I've mentioned it before that shouldn't be that way.
This is something else I have learned and others may not think it's worth considering, I would not have a rifle that I'm going to shoot a size bullet that has any type of fluting done to it and I would be very careful to learn and know how that Barrel had been tapered from whoever the barrel Builder was which that's not hard information to learn, the reason why I say this I've had three different snazzy spiral fluted barrels and a couple of other fluted barrels and one barrel that the Muzzleloader rifle Builder tapered on a CNC machine all of these barrels had relaxed bores where the fluting started a couple of them were so bad that they had to be rejected, if I purchase the barrel perhaps it had very very shallow aesthetic fluting I might consider that, but any type of fluting on the barrel that actually took Barrel weight off there is no way I would have that done on a barrel I'm sizing bullets for if it's a button rifle barrel I would bet you have relaxed your bore ,I've seen it on every button rifle barrel I've had cut on so far perhaps you can do types of fluting aesthetically on a cut rifle barrel but I would not have it done on a muzzle loading button rifle barrel that's just me. And now to the point if I were building a 40 cal or I was a company producing a 40 cal it would have nothing but a cut rifle barrel on it since there's no sabot to heal a bad button rifle barrel,, if you're 40 cal new Muzzleloader does not have an even bore to me there's not much you can do about it but eat it and to me expecting a button rifle barrel to be uniform is a 50/50 roll of the dice why spend big money and not get a decent Barrel if a rifles bullets are primarily going to all be sized for bore then that bore should be almost air gauge Worthy! Or I guess you could always put some of those 40 cal CVA bullets in it with the fill in plastic skirt,, I don't think so.

Patrick this is my suggestion if you go with an 18 twist 45 barrel you have a rifle that's capable of shooting 40 Cals all the way up to 275 grains of course that's in a plastic load still the available accuracy for some of those bullets such as the 225 Fury and the 240 OT and 250 black tip 40 cal and a light blue show some phenomenal accuracy I've shot those out to 400 and 450 all less than Moa it's not so much that I'm against a 40 cal it's just it is a little bit more narrow in regards to what it's going to shoot and of course you're not going to have the bullet selection that you have with a 45 capable of shooting 40s and as to the barrels I'm hands down there's no way I would roll the dice on a button rifle 40 caliber riding Barrel cuz that's exactly what you're doing is rolling the dice I believe 40 cal bore riding is capable of phenomenal accuracy especially out at longer ranges because of its high BC but for me until I see a 40 cal Factory rifle offered in a cut rifle barrel I won't spend my money on it, I have a couple of friends that I keep talking out of 40 cal rifles and maybe I'll put myself in that category every time I take one of my 18 twists and shoot a quarter inch and less group with a 40 cal and a light blue I just keep telling myself I have a 40 cal

And just one more question for you deep thinkers out there what do you think happens to the harmonic signal on a barrel that has been carbon wrapped any ideas, does it even have a harmonic signal as I understand it and I'm not asking anyone if they're carbon rap Barrel shoots or not I've got some and they shoot I'm just wondering in my mind if harmonics are so important and I believe they are what happens to the harmonics of the barrel that's wrapped that tight one thing curious I don't think I've ever seen a carbon rap Barrel on a military sniper rifle I wonder why maybe they exist

And just one more question for you deep thinkers out there what do you think happens to the harmonic signal on a barrel that has been carbon wrapped any ideas, does it even have a harmonic signal as I understand it and I'm not asking anyone if they're carbon rap Barrel shoots or not I've got some and they shoot I'm just wondering in my mind if harmonics are so important and I believe they are what happens to the harmonics of the barrel that's wrapped that tight one thing curious I don't think I've ever seen a carbon rap Barrel on a military sniper rifle I wonder why maybe they exist
Thats a dang good question. I'm sure that it does still have a harmonic signature, it may read differently on an oscilloscope than a non-wrapped barrel, but it will have one.

It doesn't seem like that wave would flow very well if it's bound up I'm just curious sometimes you know the brain gets bored
I'm of a curious nature as well. I think that the carbon fiber is rigid so it will carry the harmonic signature of the barrel. I'm not sure if it will alter what that signature looks like, compared to a non wrapped barrel, but the carbon fiber should not dampen that signature out. It would be very interesting to see them side by side on an oscilloscope for sure.

Based on what I've watched @Ninering62 go thru on bullet choices that don't run $2 each, if I were to be building a .40 cal I'd be looking at bullet options that match my performance goals in the .375 to .420 range and then get a barrel of appropriate bore/rifling to match what I ended up going with. Quick check at midsouth shows .416 to have a few options, but they are all expensive dangerous game solids so no real price savings, though availability and options increase. However, in .375 I see lots of good options and prices run about half that of the .400 and .416 stuff. Going down to .358 really increases possibilities and pegs max price per bullet right about $1.

All of which may matter, or not, depending on how much you plan to shoot.

"I thought I bought a .45 muzzle loader, turns out it is actually chambered for five dollar bills....."

Based on what I've watched @Ninering62 go thru on bullet choices that don't run $2 each, if I were to be building a .40 cal I'd be looking at bullet options that match my performance goals in the .375 to .420 range and then get a barrel of appropriate bore/rifling to match what I ended up going with. Quick check at midsouth shows .416 to have a few options, but they are all expensive dangerous game solids so no real price savings, though availability and options increase. However, in .375 I see lots of good options and prices run about half that of the .400 and .416 stuff. Going down to .358 really increases possibilities and pegs max price per bullet right about $1.

All of which may matter, or not, depending on how much you plan to shoot.

"I thought I bought a .45 muzzle loader, turns out it is actually chambered for five dollar bills....."
Yeah bro, I can’t argue with 5.00 shots, it’s easy to do.
With smokeless charges, 1.54 per bullet, primer, sabot or felt wad, the cost per shot is not as hard to accept. Thankfully there are plenty of cheap plinking bullets & getting 200 shots per lb of powder & I still get my sabots at a decent price, it’s much easier on the wallet to shoot when some trigger therapy is needed.
It’s still amazingly expensive to shoot my muzzleloaders nowadays. That’s why this new project build is going to be great for me with .30-.40 per bullet.

When I was a younger man and could see I was fortunate in my career to shoot for a couple of known gun makers.
With that I had access to some really smart engineers.
The general concences is that the carbon wrapped and in my case graphite wrapped barrels mitigate vibrations in a dampening manor.
Shortening the sign wave and stretching it out.
I think that's why the barrels I shot and still shoot have a very high accuracy potential.
The concensses I got was that the high and low node are not very far apart thus making hitting one very easy with out much energy difference.
I always felt too that the graphite wrapped barrels had less recoil.
Even less than a carbon fiber wrapped.
There is a trade off though.
Heat is insulated in the core of the barrel on wrapped barrels.
Probably why the spec operators shy away from them.(speculation as I never could get a direct answer in any of my travels and I asked several guys that played in the sand. General answer was we don't use those)
Wrapped barrels are quite at home in the role they were designed for. Lots of humping around and one clean shot or maybe two if you need it..
I've hunted in alot of conditions with a wrapped barrel.
From 60/70 degrees to single digits.
The one thing I think the wrapped barrels di better than anything else is point of impact stability across wide temperature swings.....

John

Back