At the buzzer...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB

Reaction score
I whined and begged around and got a day of vacation for yesterday ( last day of Alabama season). What a beautiful morning! A crisp 18 degrees, calm, a person couldn't ask for any better. I ran deer out looking for a particular tree that I had climbed earlier this season.

Got in my tree about 6:00 a.m., and had another deer on me by 6:15, but it was still too dark to see the sights. Saw a skunk, squirrels, and birds, then about 8:00 I heard a rustling behind me. I looked around and lo and behold, there's a doe trotting straight towards me, with a buck on her tail. Doe season ended last week, so I backed the hammer on Betty and waited for the doe to pass. A short whistle and the buck slammed on the brakes, thus, his demise was inevitable. With a patched round ball through the lungs, he ran about 50 yards and piled up. Nice four-pointer.

A good end to the season.

Final count:

Betty (.50 flintlock) - 1 doe, 1 four-point
In-line - 1 doe, 1 ten-point, 1 three-point
Supository gun - 1 doe, 1 four-point

flintbuck.jpg
[/img]

Brown Betty

That's Brown Betty, my fourth attempt at building from components. She's got a 44", .50 cal. Green Mountain barrel, large Siler lock (that cost me a possibles bag and powder horn that I made), Davis trigger, and stock and brass furniture purchased from Jack Garner. She's a good shooter, and sometimes I just can't let her stay home, even late in the season.

I took two deer with her this year, that buck, and a doe during the first Kentucky ML hunt.

Pretty rifle

DannyB

That is a pretty rifle and no doubt gives you a great deal of satisfaction
killing deer with a rifle you built.

Back